I have Insomnia

So I havent been able to sleep for more than three hours for three days coubting today. Its 4:48 am right now. But I’m not tired at all. I’m sick of insomnia. Any one have tips to fall asleep? I tried not usuing my phone before bed it doesnt helps

2 Likes

Well good morning fellow insomniac! :rofl:
I have nothing to offer as you can tell I’m here with ya, just want you to know you aren’t alone. I’m back on day 10. Last time it took me about a month to get a decent night’s sleep. My only advice is don’t toss and turn get up and do something as you are right now.

Someone on here took unisom first month, though I’m not into sleep meds, might help. Maybe try taking some magnesium before bed? We’re often depleted from alcohol use. It helps relax the muscles.

Now I’m too hungry to fall back asleep. Hate that :grimacing:

3 Likes

I try taking melatonin that seems to work occasionally for me, but when that doesnt I trying reading a book that will get me sleepy usually but if I’m stuck on the phone reading posts I can do that till the sun rises. what works best for me is trying to get to bed about 10 30 say prayers give thanks try to clear my mind of all my thoughts and feelings. then I turn on an app called deep meditation continue to try release my tensions, fear, worries, regrets or what have u and just breathe in and out, slowly just breathing and eventually find that peace and tranquility to doze off or out of my conscience state. alot of times lately I’ll get 2 or 3 hrs of good rest and that’s all . my mind is constantly racing and I try to turn that off, only being 57 days out of the bottle I know that my brain chemistry is out of balance still and I just pray that itll be restored back to normal and that God takes all my anxiety off my chest and let me truly get a good nights rest. Hope you can find what works for you, I’d be happy to hear what helps to get the much needed zzzs
:city_sunrise:

I’ve had insomnia on and off all of my life. Even as a little, little kid, I remember being wide awake staring at the ceiling while everyone else was asleep.
I can easily go 48-60 hours without falling asleep. It sucks because that’s too much time to be with your own thoughts.

• Chamomile or chamomile tea blends. I like Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Extra, or Organic India Tulsi Sleep.
  • 450 capsule of valerian root about an hour before bed. Or a melatonin tablet, a higher dose like 10mg, and time released if I can find it.
  • A pillow with a gel cooling side. I find this comforting.
  • Put in earbuds and find a YouTube of hours of white noise, or a talk by Eckhart Tolle. Great message, but his voice also lulls me to sleep every time.
  • Change where I sleep. Tossing and turning in the same place frustrates me. So I’ll move to the sofa, the extra bed in my kids room, or sometimes just turn around and sleep with my head at the opposite end of the bed. Crazy but it sometimes works.
  • Quietly say to myself something I am grateful for and focus on that, even if it’s just grateful for the cool side of my pillow.
    Hope you get some Zzzzzzs soon.
3 Likes

Try Calm it’s magnesium. I get it at whole foods. It’s really works, I sleep 7-8 hours a night.

1 Like

I suffered bad a few weeks back and some have probably already mentioned but:

Trying to even go for a walk if can’t jog etc, use a bit of energy up in the day

Not eating after 8pm helped me, and only drinking water, then going to bed 10 to 1030pm even if not tired to stick too a routine

No Internet, smartphone or video games etc few hours before bed, let the brain relax and unwind

Herbal valerian root one a night around an hour or so before bed

Lavender pillow mist to spray and also either a sleep balm or baby lavender bed time lotion few bits on head, chest & wrists helped me

Also some yoga and meditation in the day, then a nice relaxing one in the evening

Oh and if really warm or needed leave the window open slightly for some fresh air

:blush::v:

2 Likes

No caffeine after 3pm. Melatonin an hour before sleep, kava tea, and getting physical activity in during the day.
But the struggle is real. I’m currently exhausted.

1 Like

Hydroxizine. It’s an old antihistamine that is not very effective as that, but helps me get to sleep and stay asleep without morning groginess. Prescription only, been taking it for couple of years.

I feel your pain. Did you struggle with insomnia before or is this something new? Night shift and this summer has really messed up my circadian rhythm. I’m always awake and exhausted. Can fall asleep, but most days or nights can’t stay asleep. Going several days in a row without restful sleep is physically painful and hard to deal with emotionally. Ugh. Hope you find your answer to healthy, restful sleep soon :v::sleeping:

No caffeine after 12pm, valerian root has done wonders for me. Also you can try some calming ambient music. Like rainforests, or the ocean. Good luck to you.

1 Like