I just need to vent...😔

The desire to get sober has to come from me and only me. I understand that. I tried to get sober for my family, my ex boyfriend, my friends. None of that worked. I have to want it. I do want it. I’m tired of feeling broken, and alone. But I’m not alone. At the moment I’m not exactly in the best environment either. My whole family drinks, then they wonder why I don’t want to be around them. I’ve tried explaining and I hate the words “well its not that big a deal!”
It’s only my life. I want to be healthy for me. I want to have a good life, I’m tired of being sick. And the last 7 days have been an eye opener but I’ve also forgotten what its like to feel good again. I want to hold onto that feeling. :honeybee::honeybee::honeybee:

2 Likes

While it’s good to seek the counsel of the wise, when considering a big life-decision, the advice you receive will be flavored by the wants, desires, fears, and biases of the one asked. Also, you can get the inadvertent counsel of fools, as well.

Your current situation doesn’t seem that conducive to growth, so this could very well be a change for the better. New place, different people, new experiences.

It could also end up being a mistake. New place, different people, new experiences.

What you do know for sure, is that your current situation is not good for you, and the likelihood of it getting better is what? If you believe it won’t get better, then a move is a chance at something better.

Be realistic in your expectations, as all disappointment begins with mismanaged expectations. Accept that there will be new challenges and stresses with the move. Accept that you will at times question your own decision, especially when presented a new challange. Inoculate your mind and your emotions against this.

And don’t forget that we are here to help you walk across the bridge. Don’t forget that some members live or have lived where you are going.

I wish you fair winds and following seas on your voyage of discovery.

3 Likes

New journey and new job and AA meetings a NEW YOU AND ANEW YEAR wish you well

3 Likes

Oh that’s hard. My mom has Alzheimer’s and my dad has a sharp tongue. I can relate. It’s extremely hard for me not to drink when I am around them. I say make the move.

2 Likes

So usually I would say that a geographical cure wouldn’t work. However last December I myself moved to a new town and I have stayed sober for over a year now. But the only reason that this worked for me was because I also changed everything else including not isolating, going to meetings, getting a sponsor, doing step work, not hanging out with people that are drinking and using and I pray daily. Don’t count on staying sober just because you move. You really will have to change everything else as well.

3 Likes

Even while I’ve been home I’ve been going to meetings. I haven’t gotten another sponsor yet (I had one in Arizona), if I was going to move than I felt like it would waste their time. But I kept relapsing. I went to a meeting today and something that a friend said I think hit the nail on the head for me. He said “the emotion before the anxiety and the anger is the thing you need focus on” I really connected to that.