I keep resetting and I'm done with it

I’ve had the app for a year now. I’ve gone months when I haven’t used it. And gone months that I’ve used it and reset it every few weeks. I’m sick of it, I’m so guilty when I reset the timer and I finally had enough. I look forward to reading everyone’s stories and being apart of this online community. I’m almost 31 now and have been drinking since I was 18 years old. It’s time for a change. I don’t know where else to turn to. I’ve always been a party girl and a social drinker. So this will be very new to me.

13 Likes

Yeah, it will. Life as you know it will have to change. All those old devices we’ve honed for years will have to be discarded and new ones developed.

But hell, isn’t that the point? Life isn’t exactly peach fuzz and sunny days, or else why would you be longing for change.

Embrace the change, next chapter of the book, you can write it any way you’d like too.

Don’t be a stranger, join the herd, post daily, make friends… we’re pretty cool.

5 Likes

Welcome! It sounds like you’re in a pretty similar boat to myself. I just turned 31 and I’m a couple days short of 6 months sober, but this is preceded by an entire year of trying and failing. It won’t stick until you’re really done with your own shit and it sounds like you are. And yes your life will change, completely. I hardly left the house, didn’t do much of any socializing in the first few months just so I could protect my little sobriety “baby”. And it’s so worth it!

Also- what were the reasons that you were relapsing before? It may be wise to avoid those situations for the time being or come up with strategies to get through them of they cannot be avoided for now.

4 Likes

A lot of it is social situations with friends and especially family. I can have a drink or 2 and not get crazy but its like I hold out for 2 weeks or 3 then I go nuts and black out. My ma is still and alcoholic and my dad is recovered. My younger bro is an alcoholic and one of my drinking buddies. We are all drinkers, I can avoid family cause I need them but I know i can leave before the drinking starts. At least that’s one of my challenges .

1 Like

I get that! Have you tried talking to your friends and family about your desire to quit drinking? It’s usually easier to decline if you have somebody who can be your support. If you’re not comfortable talking about it with them yet, how about setting up social events that don’t involve drinking? (Depending on the current restrictions in your area outdoor activities may be easiest, plan an early hike or nature walk with a friend, go swimming, kayaking, berry picking, etc) I found changing up my sleeping schedule was helpful. I would go to bed early and get up early, to avoid those typical drinking hours late at night.

Or what about just avoiding those drinking friends for a little bit? Or as you said with your family, leave before the drinking starts?

3 Likes

3 Likes

My older bro said he will hop on the wagon with me and that made me very happy. I haven’t talked to other family members about it. I’m worried that if I tell too many close people to me that ill fail them. I have said before, " I’m never drinking again. " and I admit I said it jokingly before. But this time when I say it it feels too real. I almost feel like I mourning apart of myself. Because I like drinking, but I know it’s a problem for me. It’s only been my first day and I’ve been feeling very different about it this time than the other times.

3 Likes

I had that same feeling, mourning it. It felt real like saying goodbye for the last time, lol.
It’s worth it though; better things ahead!

3 Likes

Well if it helps any, I am new this go around and have tried many times before as well. Making it as long as about 6 months at one point. It is always a fight, just know a lot of people ha e tried and tried before finally being successful. Just keep pushing, you got this!

3 Likes

Thank you. You too keep at it it does help.

2 Likes

Reset
Re adjusts
Remodify as many times as you need.

4 Likes