I know it’s not the same

I almost feel guilty posting about my addiction to nicotine, which i hate calling an addiction because compared to other addictions it doesn’t seem that bad right (having a hard time trying not to invalidate myself lol). But the mental and emotional toll it takes every time i’ve tried to stop is insane. i stopped for 6 months and then i took a hit once and never stopped. it’s been four years since that. im so tired of it but i’m so scared to stop and feel like shit. but i’ve decided it doesn’t serve me anymore, trying really hard to change my mindset so that it’s easier but genuinely im so anxious about it. i decided 11/11 was my last day smoking (trying to keep some sort of control as to when i am stopping to make myself feel better), i have a surgery coming up and i have no option so i figured it’s now or never. i was going to stop smoking weed as well the same day but i think i’ll stop the week three days in because usually that’s when it gets easier and can function better. i’d love to hear others thoughts, how they stopped, any coping methods. literally anything. i’ve bought so many things to keep myself occupied when i stop, lets just hope i can get myself to actually get up and do things other than cry and sit in my head self sabotaging. thank you so much

10 Likes

You are SO welcome here. Addiction is addiction. Quitting smoking can be HARD. I quit over 10 years ago bcuz I was forced to. It was the best decision i ever made (outside of quitting drugs) but it was just as hard as quitting any drug i ever did. Have u tried any stop smoking aids? I quit using the step down method for the patch as well as chewing the stop smoking aid gum. I had to quit coffee for a bit also as well as avoid major areas of smoking. Initally it felt a bit harder to breathe as i was coughing up a lot but then it got better and my lubgs began to heal :slight_smile: im glad ur here

4 Likes

Welcome! I am battling nicotine right now…it sucks. Post all that you want, guilt free…it is an incredible addiction

5 Likes

thank you so much for your response :pleading_face: i haven’t tried anything to get off but recently i started taking lexapro and it’s helped with the anxiety so much that i’m not hitting it all day everyday or constantly looking for it. im so excited to breathe better honestly. and yessss to removing any triggers or stressors, and loading on millions of chapsticks and straws to help with the hand to mouth fixation thing. thank you so much again, truly :black_heart:

2 Likes

thank you so so much, im so appreciative!! it’s so so hard but i’m so excited to feel better physically and mentally :smiling_face_with_tear:

Have your read a book called Alan Carr’s Easy way to stop smoking?"

4 Likes

I read his book on the Easy Way to Control Alcohol, which was a “sequel” of sorts of the one for smoking. If it’s anything like the one I read, I would highly recommend it too. It’s about changing your perception of what a cigarette/alcohol really does for you. I listened in audiobooks going to work. Very helpful.

3 Likes

I stopped because it was the gym or cigs and to me sober a year at that time getting fit was more important ( no Allan Carr) then lol .just desire that was 35 years ago now wish you well

1 Like

This isn’t silly at all :innocent: There are dozens (hundreds?) of people here quitting nicotine. You are definitely not alone.

There’s 1,500+ posts on this thread; you may find some familiar experiences here, and you can post something yourself and join the discussion:

4 Likes

Please do not feel guilty or minimize your distress or addiction. Substance abuse is substance abuse and the key elements exist within the abuse…same with addiction and the physiological and psychological elements.

Many of us have suffered or suffer with nicotine addiction. I smoked for 30+ years and it took me a concerted 3+ years to get out of the quit / relapse cycle. Nicotine is a real bitch.

I used physical activity, changing routines (every little thing was associated with having a smoke), spearmint Life Savers (oh, the irony of that name!) and spent loads of time on the now defunct QuitNet (I would suggest spending loads of time here reading about addiction, cravings, strategies and tips). Lots of water drinking helped. Millions of Life Savers or something to suck on. Forget about patches or mints or vapes…they all just keep you addicted to the nicotine and until you break the hold you will continue going back. Keep quitting even if you slip up. Get back at your quit.

Remember…that anxious feeling you get when you need a smoke? That is your ADDICTION it is not the smoke ‘relaxing’ you…it is the nicotine quieting down cuz you gave it a fix.

Allen Carr’s book is also helpful.

A word of caution…when I quit smoking, my drinking ramped up over time. I just gave up 1 addiction for another. It took me a long time to realize that was the story of my life. Until we deal with what our addiction is ‘helping’ us with…what it is keeping space for, we do not truly heal. So maybe also take some time to delve into what emotions are you smoking at? And how can you learn to be okay with actually feeling your emotions. :heart:

Thank you for sharing your story and worries. And welcome to the forum. :blush:

5 Likes

thank you so so much :heart: i actually decided to stop last night instead of waiting til tomorrow. so far, so good :black_heart:

1 Like

Glad to hear. Slow and steady!!!

My advice would be to stick with the (admittedly?) small number of people who share your addiction, as even though different addictions can share the same roots, it’s easier to stay focused on your goal when you talk to people who really understand the struggle you’re going through. You’ll quickly find out that advice given to you by people struggling with or recovering from an alcohol addiction (which is indeed the vast majority of people using this app) can only go so far.
I struggle with a gambling addiction, and I’m almost one of a kind on here. Now I only use the timer, which is good enough for me

And I didn’t address this before…but yes, it was debilitating and traumatizing and seriously sucked down my self esteem being unable to quit for long term. I understand your feelings around that :100:.

You CAN heal thru this. Check out the Grumpy thread…plenty of folks fighting the battle. Keep quitting!

1 Like

Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances humans willingly expose themselves to, and is one of the most difficult to quit. Don’t minimize the “badness” of your addiction to it. Years of being a heavy smoker was what eventually took my mother’s life. The COPD that resulted made her very susceptible to respitory infections, and her official cause of death was pneumonia.
I dipped snuff for 30 years, and it was super difficult to quit.

I’m glad you are here, trying to get free.

3 Likes

Nah babe, addiction is addiction and it SUCKS so you’re being quite a badass being here and handling it. You can do this.

3 Likes

One day at a time. Ive found for myself quitting everything all at once becomes very overwhelming. I quit meth back in November of last year then opiates in March of this year then cigarettes last month. I vape now. I just found to quit everything is very stressful. And dont feel guilty. Nicotine is an absolute addiction. One that is extremely difficult to give up. Dont be hard on yourself. One day at a time ok. Good luck with ur surgery as well.

Do not feel guilty about posting here – Nicotine addiction is super hard to get over. I had quit for 2 years and then after picking up a pack it took me over 2 decades to quit again - i am now on 21 months and I know I can never even have one drag cause that will take me back to the full blown addition.

Decide if you want to go cold turkey or if you think meds or nicotine patches / gum/ lozenges may help. I actually also did a hypnotic app that helped me along with the nicotine gum. I did sleep a lot at the beginning and my nerves were on edge but stick with it cause it does get easier and a nicotine free life is a healthier one. It may be better to go through the withdrawals all at the same time and give up weed too. This is completely your call - i waited and then gave up weed and alcohol later.

Check out the Grumpy A-holes thread mentioned by Matt - it has a lot of great stories and tips to help quit.

Wishing you well on this journey - keep posting here - it helps to let out the frustrations rather than sit with them.