I’m new and would love inspiration

I’m on day one and looking to hear how people even make it a day let alone a year alcohol free? Any anecdotes, inspiring stories or tips to get through to tomorrow without a drink.

Thanks!

10 Likes

Today is also my first day. It’s going to be okay. This forum has some amazing reads and success stories! Check in with us when you feel the urge to consume. We’re all here to support you.

3 Likes

Read, read, and read some more! So many people with so much sobriety. You will be inspired for sure.

3 Likes

On my first couple of days someone asked me to typed out a list of why I quit. It was so helpful. Not only that day but days when I was feeling the pull I would go back and read it and add to it. Also I ask myself- do I wanna wake up tomorrow feeling guilty and defeated with anxiety or do I wanna wake up proud of another day and ready to take on the world?
Congratulations for your Day 1!!

8 Likes

Lots of great info that Sassy provided below :point_down:
Click on the links :+1:

Welcome, and I wish you well.

3 Likes

Welcome. Congratulations on 1 day that is an amazing accomplishment and you should be proud because I know I am proud of you. What’s been working for me is other people in the program. I’ve been going to zoom meetings and in person meetings when I can. I’ve collected phone numbers and actually reached out to people. And I want to change. It’s hard but it does get better. Take it one day at a time, your doing amazing!

2 Likes

Welcome @Kgw!

Here’s a list Sassy put together of the reasons she quit - it’s a great list! - you will no doubt have your own, but this one has a lot of things I think many people here can understand (scroll down a bit to find the list):
(Edit: oops wrong list! Haha)

5 Likes

Reaching out is huge. That’s so great. Admitting to yourself and others that you need support. Try zooming a meeting. There are over 2,500 meetings in English on-line. Make it through tonight and that’s one day sober.YAY!!!. Lemon and cucumber water is great when de-toxing. You’re on the right path. Congratulations on your first 24 hours

4 Likes

Welcome Kgw
This is a great place for support. After being on this app for over a year I cannot believe I haven’t had a drink in over 400 days. It did freak me out at the beginning. But it truly is one day at a time. Or even one hour at a time at first.
What helps me is.
I’m not drinking today!
And I’m probably not drinking tomorrow.

You’re worth all the benefits of sobriety.
Keep reading and ask questions when your comfortable joining in.
Great first start.
:pray:t2::heart:

5 Likes

I go to zoom meetings there are a lot on line it’s nice hearing other’s stories and able to talk about your own struggles! Easy does it and chocolate it helps!! Keep on keeping on

3 Likes

WOW! 3+ years!!! That’s amazing to me, to actually know someone that has been keeping up sobriety for that long is truly inspiring! Thank you for sharing your story here. I can’t tell you how good that makes me feel, as I’m sure so many others, to read about your struggles and how you have surpassed so much! Congrats to you and I can’t wait to be able to share that length of time being sober myself. You are a star! :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

3 Likes

Try a zoom meeting they help , i went to AA many moons ago wish you well

1 Like

Thanks for sharing Sassy’s post. So inspiring.

1 Like

:pray: Thank you!

Thank you!

1 Like

:pray: Thank you! I appreciate the message.

3 Likes