I’m new, any advice?

I’m mid 20’s and would love any and all advice on the steps you’ve taken to quit. It’s ruining my life and relationships around me and I’ve become the talk of the town on my addiction. It’s not who I was. It’s not who I want to be.

5 Likes

I’m pretty new too but exercise has really helped me. Gives me something to work towards and I feel good after. I allow myself to do it at any point in the day I feel ready versus a strict 6 am wake up to exercise regimen. This app has been helpful too. I don’t participate much but reading what others say gives me hope. You can do it! We believe in you.

4 Likes

I listened to sobriety podcasts, read sobriety books, spent a ton of time on this site, and really honed in my exercise and diet. I also did not keep my addiction problems secret from my family or friends… addiction thrives in secrecy. Welcome.

3 Likes

I think that’s the hardest part for me. I feel embarrassed if I admitted it to others but then I heard someone I didn’t even know mention I had a problem with it and that they heard it from others I also didn’t know. The shame I experienced was detrimental so I denied it. I can barely comes to terms to myself about it.

3 Likes

I just had surgery today so exercise it very very limited. But hopefully physical therapy will help me both with my addiction and recovery from surgery. I thank you for your advice and will hopefully remember to update you on my efforts and prosper as I hope you do.

3 Likes

Some of the best people I’ve ever met are recovering addicts. There is nothing to be ashamed of here. There is a daily check in thread that you may find helpful here too. Reach out anytime :blush:

3 Likes

You might make an acronym of sorts and put on your phone or on a piece of paper.
INWIW INWIWTB
There are no magic potions. It has to come from inside you. Reminding yourself that this is what you really and truly want and that you will give it everything you can to get it. You ARE stronger than the bottle. You CAN do it.
There’s lots of help here in the community because it IS a community and there is a wealth of common knowledge and help.
Get all the help that is available to you but very possibly And in the end it does come down to whether you are going to pick it up and drink it. There’s a beautiful sober world out there for you. You want it. Read the acronym up there. Say to yourself: I am not going to drink this hour, this next hour, this day.
Keep checking in.

1 Like

And its not who you are. Who you are is the voice saying you want to be a better version of you, its not the loudest voice that’s why we rarely hear it bc the ego is too busy screaming at you to please it. So focus on the whisper and it will get louder. We are not out thoughts we are our actions, people do not see what we think they see what we do and this is what we can judge ourselves on, What can we do for others today?

Forget everyone else. Do it for yourself. Those people judging you have their own issues to. One day at a time my friend. You are in the right place.

1 Like