I made a mistake...(no relapse)

I was surfing on Facebook and by accident found a woman I visited school with when we were kids and teens. I always adored her. She’s this natural beauty I wanted to be. She had a bunch of friends, good ones. She has her own little family now, husband and 2 kids. She’s athletic, a Zumba Instructor who makes dance choreos she shows on the net. I almost was crying. I don’t have all those things.
I had a toxic family I had to leave behind. I am an addict. Single. And feeling ugly and like a mistake now…like I failed in this thing called life.
I know staying sober is badass, anyway I don’t feel badass now.

7 Likes

I think you are a badass

9 Likes

Hey Sabrina,

Not all that glitters is gold. Remember, social media only shows us the parts of others’ lives that they want us to see. One rarely knows what’s going on below the surface. Who knows if this woman has unhealthy coping mechanisms for dealing with her pain.

You’ve got a year of gritty, hard work that took an incredible amount of self discipline and commitment under your belt. There’s a whole forum of people who can attest to that.

When I’m feeling this way I will strive for find gratitude for the blessings that I have. Also, if I have a goal in mind I might see if there’s a manageable piece that I can accomplish today. If all else fails, I take it to the gym and grind through it until the endorphins pick me up.

Peace and Love Sister!

12 Likes

I think you’re pretty great as you are, no need to compare your path to anyone else’s. Stay in your own lane lovvie, here’s an article that may help.

7 Likes

First off, what you see on Facebook is like the pictures of the meals at a fast food restaurant. Burgers all plump and juicy, perfectly made, with crisp lettuce. Then you unwrap your Burger and it looks like it was made by a chimpanzee. It looks nothing like the carefully staged photo, on the menu board.

What you see may not be. She could have a philandering husband. She may have never had “the big O”. They may be in debt up to their ears. Her kid may piss in the toy box. She might be a kleptomaniac or addicted to her kids ADHD meds. You only see what she wants the world to see, only her best.

No one has a perfect life. I have a great life, but it’s not without its warts. Shakespeare wrote “All the worlds a stage, and all the men and women merely players.”

So love the life you have. I appreciate your natural beauty and zany sense of humor, and I am sure that those who really know you do too.

14 Likes

I was trying to avoid the term in polite company…

Orgasm. The lady with the perfect life may never have had one.

3 Likes

What he said, you’ve walked through fire and come out stronger.

2 Likes

Ha. It’s usually men that have to ask this question

4 Likes

I think you’re pretty fucking great. I was stoked when I saw you were back on here.

Like @Yoda-Stevie said, social media is just what people want you to see, the good stuff.

I look back at my FB from when I was at the worst stage in my life, 2011 or so, and based solely on those posts you’d guess I was happy, successful, living life. Nope. In reality, I hated my life, was perpetually hungover, hated every fiber of my own being, and was disappointed most mornings I woke up that death hadn’t taken me in my sleep. But, you’d never know based on what I was choosing to present on social media.

There is, and will only ever be, one “you”. To use another person as a measuring stick is likely not accurate, and more importantly, it robs the world of YOU. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I have a love/ hate when it comes to Facebook! You only see what parts of peoples lives they want you to see alot of those who go the extra mile to post those my perfect life photos are struggling with things just like the rest of us! But it’s just natural to compare ourselves to others and when I get in one of those moods that Facebook is causing me to feel down I deactivate it and take a break to focus on myself.

1 Like

Omg! I had to get off of social media all together when I decided to get sober. The pure bullshit on there used to piss me off.let me tell you a short story about a very close relative of mine with the most perfect Facebook.
Married 2 beautiful kids, pet pig, family looks perfect. They travel alot, kids are home schooled.
Truth…
Wife has boyfriend
Kids get thrown out of school often
They travel alot because they are running from DCF
Wife keeps family in check using fear. Holding guns to the husband to get her way. That’s only half of their story. Dont believe everything you see.
You keep doing you
You are beautiful and strong
This is no easy road we are traveling
Stop comparing yourself and enjoy the many accomplishments you’ve made and the many more to come :two_hearts:

1 Like

The best person you can be is you!
The sober (badass) you! :heart:

3 Likes

Read this!!

4 Likes

You are badass. The grass isnt always greener on the other side!! Remember that!! && people post for show. Doesn’t mean their lives aren’t as messed up as ours!!

1 Like

And men also have to deal with the whole “When Harry Met Sally” thing. Did she, or didn’t she?

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: yea she may have never had the big O!! That’s hilarious!

2 Likes

I once heard too women getting “catty” with each other, and one said “well at least I have orgasms”. I could tell from the look on the other’s face, this had been an “kill-shot”.

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: not every women is fortunate!

1 Like

I do not know what’s behind and I don’t know your friend. I do know that Sabrina is badass. Like @TMAC said, I was super excited when you popped back up. And it ain’t just because you’re good at sober. You’re fantastic all around. :heart:

And my experience…? All the surface grace in the world doesn’t mean someone doesn’t have their struggles. We’re all just people being people.

5 Likes

You are awesome. Always know that. I have these 2 quotes saved on my phone. I forget where they are from but they help me through the negative thoughts.

“I am worthwhile without proof.”

“You alone are enough. You have nothing to prove to anybody.”

2 Likes