I'm new here and really need help

I’ve tried so hard for years to stop drinking, but nothing works. I feel entirely helpless, worthless and hopeless and I don’t know what to do. My thoughts are getting darker and darker.

2 Likes

That is exactly the point I had gotten to at the end of last year. I felt like less than nothing. Numb. Void. Hopeless beyond repair. Believe it or not its really a great place to be in. “It’s always darkest before the dawn”. We have to come to the end of ourselves. To the end of our humanity before change can take place and the miracle of a rescued life can begin. I would say don’t give up, but in a big way that’s exactly what we need to do. I had to stop fighting the wrong fight…surrender to God, admit alcohol was too powerful for me, and let it all go. Shit it can’t get much worse. What have you got to lose? Take that leap. I promise he’ll catch you. Best decision I have ever made. And if there is hope for me, there is hope for anyone. Trust me!

7 Likes

Have you tried going to an AA meeting? It’s not for everyone, but it helped me. I’m at 18 months now and I could never go more than a day or two on my own. I hope you can find your way. What have you tried? This forum can help a lot too. Keep checking in.

2 Likes

I hope I can stay strong. I’ve been to a treatment facility for a couple of weeks, I’ve had sober stretches… The longest was 1 year and 9 months. I’m so sick of myself and I feel totally trapped. Really sick of the judgements, too. As if I do this for fun!

I used to go to AA, but it only made me want to drink more! Go figure!!

Maybe it wasn’t the right meetings for you. But keep trying to stay sober! 1 year 9 months is a long time, longer than me.

1 Like

Trust me I get that. But people’s judgments and opinions and thoughts about you mean nothing. It sucks to be misunderstood, I know. But in the end it means absolutely nothing. YOU deserve a better life. Peace. Freedom. Life. No one is beyond help or hope. Just be willing to do whatever it takes and the sky is the limit.

3 Likes

Stay strong its what we are all here for! Talk to your friends and family and if you feel you can’t you have everyone here for support. Its a hard thing to talk about it all but you are stronger than you think. Keep your head up and just remember coming here is an amazing step :heart:️:heart:️

2 Likes

I was sober a few years ago… I’ve relapsed so many times. I feel like I have no one to talk to about this. I’m feeling hopeful using this app. It feels good to speak my truth

3 Likes

This forum helped me so much in the beginning. I remember someone saying it’s like having a meeting in your pocket!

3 Likes

People’s judgements are their opinions. They’re entitled to them, because they’re theirs not yours. Don’t let them dictate how you live or want to live.

Remember that opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and most of them stink.

5 Likes

Well said @Rosey

2 Likes

Thanks for the words of encouragement, everyone. I really hope I can make it work this time. I deserve a better life. So do all of us

1 Like

Thank you :blush:

You know what has changed my life? The addiction recovery program put out by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. It has helped me find healing through God–there’s no requirement about religious beliefs–no one’s going to ask you to switch religions. In fact, a several people who go to the meetings do not belong to the church.

If you want to check out the free guide book or meetings (phone-in or in-person), visit arp.lds.org.

3 Likes

We are here for you. We are here for each other. Each day is hard but each day is going to get better. Life will not come for you. WE will go and grab it together. Please stay here and keep trying. We love you. Don’t forget, night is dark but sun never gives up.

1 Like

@DungeonMaster I’m not sure if you two have meet, but you should! Love my LDS homies

3 Likes

@Rachel We keep it real. I attended the Addiction Recovery Program while I was at BYU-Idaho. It was really good for me.

2 Likes

Please, try to do this exercise I send to you. I did it and helped me a lot. Courage!!! My friend you are not alone!!!:
"I leave you with this self-compassion exercise, courtesy of Beverly Engle, in hopes that it helps you as it helped me:

Think of one of your most shaming experiences from childhood. Now think of what you wish someone had said to you right after that experience. What would have been the most helpful and healing for you to hear at the time? Write this statement down.

Imagine that someone you care very much about, someone you admire, is saying those words to you now. Hear those words in your ears. Take those words into your heart. Notice how those words make you feel.

Now say those words out loud to yourself. Take a deep breath and really take in those words. How does hearing yourself say those words out loud make you feel?

You might receive a real sense of healing and peace from the words that you hear while doing this exercise. Exploring shame can be a journey that requires courage and self-honesty, but the reward is recovery that goes beyond the mere absence of addiction—recovery that is a deep healing of your past and a life of real happiness and peace."

1 Like

I love this answer. Thank you so much!!!

1 Like