I relapsed at the end of August but only reset yesterday

So I relapsed at the end of August, but chose not to reset because it was only 3 glasses of wine in a social setting with friends. After those 3 glasses, I ended up going another 2 weeks without any alcohol.

Well that all turned to shit in early September when I decided to pour a glass of wine whilst cooking dinner.

That started the roller coaster of my binge drinking again, since the beginning of this month I have only had 6 sober days.

So here I am again, resetting and starting my sobriety journey once again.

25 Likes

What are you willing to do now that you were not willing to do before? Your sobriety journey has been one of fits and starts - what are you going to do to smooth that?

1 Like

Progress over perfection…keep going

1 Like

Glad you are back, Lynda. That is what is so scary about relapse. Makes it so much easier to do it again.

1 Like

Yes I plan too. I let my ego think I had recovered, onwards and upwards from here……

Just gotta keep coming here! Onwards and upwards.

3 Likes

Welcome back! It can be rough out there stumbling on the idea that I can just have one drink. In fact it is cunning, powerful, and baffling. I have been through this same situation in my life with the experience involving the first “Drink”! I had to realize that it is okay not to take the first drink. I had to learn that sometimes I have to experience what I didn’t know, and not to repeat that same vicious cycle again. So, don’t be down on yourself. We are going to be full of mistakes in our life time. Dealing with life on life terms. Keep Coming Back!

5 Likes

I went through something very similar recently. I think it’s really importantl to reset the clock right away. I debated this a few times and each time I decided not to reset, because it was just one or two drinks, it quickly snowballed. I didn’t do well at all throughout the summer, but now I will be at 20 days AF tomorrow and I’m feeling a lot more on track. I’m really glad that you’re back please keep checking in💗

10 Likes

Welcome back!

This time I would note, what triggered that roller coaster and be ready with alternative, next time.

3 Likes

Thank You for sharing Linda79; you keep Us all with your post! Godspeed in the Reset.

1 Like

Welcome back glad you reset your timer. I don’t understand some people saying, I didn’t reset because it was only a few drinks. If your counter says I’ve been sober for (amount of days). But you were drinking during that time, than the numbers a lie anyway so why would you want to look at it. You’re only lying to yourself at that point.

1 Like

Because maybe some people are in denial that they are addicts.

Thanks for being supportive.

2 Likes

I was being supportive. I welcomed you back and I meant it. Ive relapsed before and I know how it feels. I was only inquiring about the reset. I think Being in denial about having a full blown addiction and pretending that I didn’t have a slip up when trying to get sober are two different things. At least that’s how I felt during relapses.

1 Like

Absolutely! I’ve been through the same thing recently as well, and it’s hard to believe, looking back, how easy it is to let yourself be convinced that you can somehow manage your addiction all of a sudden. I “successfully” managed my drinking earlier this summer–of course that was followed by a two month binge. Gotta stay vigilant, gotta stay honest. It is definitely tough.

2 Likes

It is tough. Might be easier for some, but for me it is sneaky and cunning.

1 Like