I resent my new puppy and it's making me hate myself

oh dear lord NO. i cannot do puppies myself! when i was looking to adopt a dog i wanted one that was 6+ years old :laughing: when the rescue showed me a one year old with an ā€˜old soulā€™ i was like HECK NO. but he was super calm and now heā€™s around 10 and has always had a real laid back 'tude.

i think anyone who has been around puppies cant attest that its hard fking work. deep breathes and soon enough sheā€™ll settle down :smile:

pete :heart:

2 Likes

Thanks everyone. I tried to put into use some of your advice and ot really helped today. Iā€™m still not feeling much of a bond with her but we had a good day and she really enjoyed herself and is now happily snoring away. Hopefully this will turn a corner

4 Likes

When my wife and I were newlywed, we had a room mate, her bff. Her bff wanted a dog, and we said yes. She brought home the most adorable jack Russell pup. Being a Jack Russell the pup was willful and stubborn.

Both my wife and our roommate were in night school, so it fell to me to feed and clean up after the pup, walk and play with the pup. Soon enough, the pup decided I was her ā€œpersonā€. She always wanted to be with me, would only listen to me, howled when I left, even if the ladies were home.

We grew on each other. Soon after, our roommate decided to move in with her parents. She said she was going to put the dog up for adoption. I said ā€œsheā€™s already adopted me, so might as well leave things beā€.

Oh how I loved that dog, and was wrecked when she had to be put down. I hadnā€™t been looking for one, and Lord knows she tested me as a puppy, but I grew to love my Brittany girl.

Maybe give it some time?

5 Likes

We adopted our most recent addition when he was 12 weeks. We will never adopt another puppy, but thatā€™s mostly because adult dogs are less likely to be adopted. Adding a family member can be complicated emotionally. I never respond to things in the ways I expect.

I recommend the book donā€™t shoot the dog, its less about training dogs and more about training yourself. Itā€™s all positive reinforcement based, and itā€™s one of the books Iā€™ve recommended most.

Good luck!

3 Likes

The first time you realize that you could be gone for 5 hours, 5 minutes or 5 days, and that dog will be so happy when you come home, you will be bonded. The first time you come home feeling worthless and the dog demonstrates that you are the center of his world, you will bond. Next to God, a dog will love you more unconditionally than anyone else. More than an SO, sibling, or even a child.

4 Likes

When we first got Shadow I was dismayed when after a week or so she didnā€™t seemed to care who she went to at home etc.
Now she wimpers when I leave her at home with the girls and is so pleased to see me come home.
It melts my :heartbeat:

3 Likes

I have had dogs most of my life but when I was responsible for my own first dog, I had no idea what I was in for. I was SO frustrated at times with my shoes and everything else being chewed, not being able to leave food or the trash out, having to walk him every day, trying to get him to stop barking at everything and everyone, chasing him if he used his Houdini skills and got free, handle all his needs, clean up behind him AND take care of my 1 year old son all at the same time. But man, that dog grew to be my best friend after a few years and the bond we had was indescribable! I was frustrated at the time but that was over time replaced with an irreplaceable bond I didnt realize was possible with an animal.

Training is truly key, and each dog is different so I recommend professional training right off the bat if you can. Consistency with all of you will truly make everyoneā€™s life easier, I wish I had realized how important this was but it truly can make all the difference in the world! It takes work and effort at first, but I promise it does get better as you all work together and as she gets older and calms down. :heart:

3 Likes

This is what they tell you at puppy school. Everyone has to be the same. Commands everything!

4 Likes