I saw these today and cried

This is what I looked like this time in 2017…

It’s 7:30am and I usually start my day with some mindfulness on how far I’ve come. Being one never scared to stare into darkness I went thru a folder titled 2017. Inside we’re lots of pics of me and the ex, our cat (R.I.P) and just random things we were doing. Scenic locations ect.
As I scrolled thru them I sat and looked at each one relflecting on what life was like then. I didn’t smile much. My ex didn’t smile much. When we did they were visibly fake. Then as I came to these two pictures. (Above) I starred at my former self for a few mins. I remember that day. I remember snapping these selfies and thinking to myself then, “I don’t look that bad.” “I’ve looked worse.” That’s when tears started running down my face. At the time I was not only comfortable being seriously underweight, but visibly a drug addict.
It’s so fuckin astonishing how jaded one’s life view is while in active addiction. The saddest part is for a long time I believed I looked good emaciated. Something about that herion-chik look.i guess hahah.
I digress.
Yesterday was the 5 month mark for me… it has sincerely flew by. Feels like just yesterday I was throwing out my pipes and shit. Now, 5 months later looking back at my former life, the former me, I barley recognize that asshole. "Asshole"being the appropriate word. At that time I wasn’t a pleasant person to be around. All I cared about was what I deemed important which was nothing. Nothing was important to me other than getting high. My kids weren’t important, my girl wasn’t important. My cat wasn’t important. My living situation wasn’t important. My health wasn’t important. I was so wrapped up in my own bullshit that looking back at it now it’s astonishing. It’s no wonder when I hit rock bottom I had absolutely nothing.
Before hitting rock bottom I hadn’t been in contact with my kids for over a year. My cat died. My girl cheated on me countless times. I was homeless bouncing around and you know what?? I deserved it. I deserved a life of utter shit because I was in effect a shit person.
Today as I sit here typing this I can proudly say that I am a changed man. The old me is dead,buried and gone.
In the last 5 months I’ve worked to better myself tirelessly. I’ve gotten clean, am living in a stable environment. I raised money for two different charities. ( Shout out to Derek on the last one) I have been educating myself to further my stance in life. Have become so active in bettering my physical health that I am seriously considering becoming a personal trainer after enlistment. I am rebuilding the relationship between my daughters and I. My overall attitude towards life is positive. (It even astonishes me with some of the things I hear myself say) I’ve done a complete 180. All within 5 fuckin months.
I don’t really know what else to say other than “I’m very proud of my accomplishments.” And god damn I used to look like shit :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

In case you haven’t heard it today;
I LOVE YOU & YOU’RE AWESOME!!

38 Likes

Wow. Wow. This post made me cry too. You decided to live rather than just exist. You are such different man living a different life. I hope anyone who is trying to decide if getting sober is worth it sees your incredible transformation. You are such a inspiration. Good job, you!

6 Likes

Congratulations man!! You’re doing awesome and should be very proud of yourself!!!

3 Likes

I have to admit that I stalked your whole Instagram once and OMG you changed so much! In the past you looked so sad and angry and lost and look at you now! Your smile now is a real smile coming from within! Keep up the good work!
The sky is the limit :muscle::wink:

5 Likes

Thank you.
I’m also flattered that you IG stalked me. It’s always weird to reflect on how far one has come. You’re right though, I was always sad and angry. I WAS angry that at the time I felt like I had no control over my life. I was extremely resentful of things I should have let go. At the time I just didn’t have the tools to deal with those things. I was also in extreme denial. Not only of my situation but what I thought I deserved in life.

2 Likes

I thought the whole purpose of instagram was for stalking?

4 Likes

Naw bro, that’s Facebook
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

It is harrharr :blush::grin:

3 Likes

Keep getting better at getting better, each and every day!

2 Likes

I am so happy for you! You have been kicking ass at being sober! I enjoy seeing your updates. Thank you for being an inspiration for me.

3 Likes

Great Job man! Keep it up, never look back and reach for the stars with such motivation, perseverance and willingness to last a lifetime. I wish this for all of us on sobriety forum.

1 Like

OMG. I’m crying your share is so tremendous! Thank you. I feel so much the same. Who knew life could be so GREAT on this side??!! I had absolutely no idea. I believe it only gets better for us.

1 Like

Save those pictures man. We need those reminders of what is was like out there.

You’re killing it bro!!

1 Like

Bury that MFer. :dizzy_face::skull: I dont want to see him again.

1 Like

He’s been buried lol

1 Like

What I just read was amazing!! I’m proud of you for acknowledging your accomplishments and giving yourself the praise that you deserve.

1 Like

Dude, it’s a good thing you quit bc it really didn’t look like you had to much time left on Earth if you kept using.

1 Like

I agree with this whole heartily. I was dying in more ways than one. Emotionally,physically, spirtiually.

3 Likes

Dang! Huge difference! You have a healthy glow to you now too! So proud of you! :blush:

1 Like

You and me both.

1 Like