I think I’m going to relapse

I just don’t care about sobriety anymore, i don’t see the point at the moment. I’m unhappy drunk but I’m more unhappy sober. I just want to be normal and get drunk and have fun and not miss out on the social aspects of drinking.
I decided to get sober because my old partner gave me an ultimatum, I didn’t drink because I knew he’d leave me, Is that grounds to be sober? Does that mean I have a drinking problem? Or did I convince myself because I was being told I had a problem? My brain is telling me to give alcohol another chance or is that the illness talking? I thought I’d accepted I was an alcoholic but maybe I haven’t…

What are you like as a drunk? What caused an ultimatum to begin with?

1 Like

How long did you give yourself as a drunk before deciding it made you unhappy?

How long have you given yourself sober?

5 Likes

I’d get drunk and see something online like him communicating with an ex and I’d get drunker and then call him up and get upset basically

So dealing with your dad’s illness and your breakup will be so much better being wasted then hungover and feeling like a failure exactly how? Look at your old posts and remember why alcohol is a dead end and will only exacerbate a bad situation.

Hi lydia,

My first time seeing your posts as I dont frequent here that often anymore.
Let me ask you a few questions.
How often do you drink when you drink?
How much do you drink when you drink?
Do you drink and drive?
Do you drink alone?
Are you a mean drunk?
Does it cause you relationship problems besides with your ex?
Have you ever questioned your drinking habits?
Do you feel like you need alcohol to numb the pain of things?
Do you drink to avoid dealing with problems?
Why do you drink?

Think about all of these things and answer them honestly.
I find that most of the time if you are on here its because you couldnt quit drinking on your own.You dont seek out a sober counter and a forum to discuss it if you dont have a drinking problem because you would just stop, it wouldnt even be a problem for you to stop and counting would be pointless.
Most people go through this type of questioning of wether or not they are actually an alcoholic/have a drinking problem. Its normal because alcohol is sneaky and it will convince you that its everyone else and not you.

Are there things that you have done to make yourself happy? Have you tried anything new lately or went somewhere you have always wanted to go?
You should.

3 Likes

Part of why I quit is because I didnt like feeling that way and not being the best I could be for my husband. Is it all for him though? Absolutely not. Its for my own happiness and my health.Mentally and physically. Drinking is overrated.

1 Like

Quitting alcohol will not be easy, is a life journey, when your ready u will know.

Getting sober for someone else will never work, as you can see on yourself, you stayed sober for someone who gave you an ultimatum, but you’re resenting the decision and are dying for a drink. You can only stay sober for yourself and you have to come to that decision on your own. Whether you have a problem or not, only you can answer that. But remember to always be honest with yourself.

3 Likes

I just wanted to say thank you everybody for your replies and advice.
I proud to say I’m still sober. Last night was my illness, i can see that now.
Thank you for your support. It’s really appreciated.

6 Likes

Glad to see you’re staying strong! I remember I was lamenting a lot about how unfair it was I cannot drink in my early sobriety, eventhough I took the decision myself, it STILL felt unfair (I quit because I was blacking out and causing scenes while drunk with my ex, so I kinda still was putting the blame on him, how convienent huh). But every time I had these thoughts, I would sit down and really think it through, why I am feeling like that, and how to solve it (without drinking), and what is the real root of me feeling like that. That’s all part of recovery, and growing, and thinking why you’re drinking, and finally realising that it’s not that you CAN’T drink anymore… It’s that you DON’T HAVE to drink anymore. And that feels soo good.

2 Likes

Lydia, I am on day 3 of my sobriety after many many years of being a “drunk”. I am questioning myself this afternoon after a maybe failed job interview. I am dying for a drink! But I thought I would hop on here instead for guidance as I missed the AA meeting today. All these comments and advice is so exact. I would blackout most nights of the week (I drank every day for yearsss) I would also start fights with my husband over stupid shit, then be stubborn the next day blaming it on him (he doesn’t drink…hardly ever) mainly because I couldn’t remember my reasoning to start the fight. He told me one day, he can’t see us having a future for the rest of ourlives when I behave like that, and he hates having those thoughts. I never wanted to admit I had a problem, but when I went through the questions in the AA booklet I answered yes to all of them. 10/10… I am an alcoholic. So I am doing it for me, my health, my future, my husband, my kids etc etc. I am not the only reason to be sober. One day at a time. Thanks for your post and all the replies to inspire me to be sober one more day. We got this.

3 Likes