I want the chance to relapse!

Sept. 2017 I downloaded this app and it lasted a whole 10 days before I started drinking again and deleted it! I wasn’t ready. Nov. 2017 I tried again. This time with a warning from my Dr. that my drinking is starting to show up on my labs. It’s 50 days now. I do not have 50 days sober. But I have managed 39 days sober. And thanks to this forum I know more about my addiction than ever before and have learned all this terminology and ways to express to my self and others what I do and why. Triggers? Never tried to identify those before! White knuckling it- I now have a description of every other time I tried to be sober when I hadn’t accepted the fact I am an alcoholic and I have to stop. Accountability? Who dat? Permission to drink? Yes please. Planned relapse? Why, I never! But my personal favorite- the false start. Because that’s what Ive been doing. Not just messing up, or relapsing. I figured out that you need to ne sober for awhile before you get the distinction of relapsing. Another thing I’ve learned is GOALS and how I’ve come to believe that maybe it’s my lack of setting a real goal for myself leaves me open to interpretation of when I rationalize I can drink. So here is my goal you guys. I’m committing to 365 days sober. I told my husband. I told me friends. I know that all these 7, 10, 11, 5 day stretches have taught me that I will not die from withdrawals the first few days, I will not even freak out that bad after a few days. I will obsess a little. But it can be done. I’m no longer afraid of what I will become if I don’t drink. Now that I’ve broken myself of being a nightly drinker, I know I can committ to a year sober- just the thought of going 24 hours without a drink scared the shit outta me 2 months ago. Yesterday I gave myself permission to drink. And that’s what it was. I reset my counter guys. But I’ve been flexing my sober muscles almost 2 months now. I’m not scared anymore. I’m defiant!

8 Likes

A year is just 365 days, one at a time. I’ve said this before; we fall into the trap of thinking it’s like lifting weights…with each repetition it gets more difficult as fatigue sets in. Why can’t we look at it like breathing? In. Out. In. Out. Each the same as the last.

Day 43 for me. You can do this!

6 Likes

Well that’s the thing right? It’s getting easier. It’s not this big unattainable goal. I just needed to be brave enough to do it…

3 Likes

Living…the timid never start and the weak quit along the way. Press on, regardless!

1 Like

Warrior talk. I like it!

1 Like

Stay positive. Winners never quit and quitters never win.:+1:

1 Like

365 seemed impossible to me too. I did it and I am super happy I did.

You can do it too! 365 challenge!

You might not want to relapse after that though :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

My old sponsor use to tell me when I wanted to relapse “tell yourself that you will use/drink tomorrow.” But tomorrow never comes. So the next day if I was still feeling that way I would again tell myself tomorrow until the day finally came that I didn’t want to use/drink. Because you only have today. And today is the only day you need to make it through. This was such an inspiring post. I agree, drinking and using will always be there so what can it hurt giving this sobriety thing a chance!

8 Likes

Yes the 365 day challenge! You’re one of the reasons I think I can do it. You did it! Thank you😀

3 Likes

Only for today i wont drink tomoro will take care of itself thats what i was told in early soberiety and it worked everyone have agood day

1 Like

I am new to this app, but I am now a few days from 9 months sober, I never thought I could do it, an each time I get 30 more days its like a celebration! Each day gets better, an alittle easier, just never give up trying!

2 Likes

Thank you for saying so.

I am sure you can do it.

Good for you.