I want to drink so badly

I get it
I’m 240 days and something similar happened last month (right around where you are now). Seemingly out of nowhere.
I go to AA, work steps with sponsor, do the DO things and yet I kept thinking about drinking.
Thoughts are not actions tho.
You are on the right path.
Good for you for reaching out.
Maybe it’s something that just happens??? The past week has been MUCH better

2 Likes

When in rehab l had dreams about drinking, but thank God no more

1 Like

Don’t even let the cravings or thoughts control you.

You want a drink. Fine.

But you know you wont. Great.

Don’t let that gap of time be controlled by thoughts about drinking. Fill that time with positive shit you want to do. Nothing worse than stinking thinking. Get out of yourself, get out of your own mind and push forward brother.

3 Likes

Right on! Thanks!

1 Like

It’s Friday night and I didn’t drink. Doing the old Cost Benefit Analysis in my head makes it obvious it’s not worth. And I definitely won’t drink tomorrow because I have a long run on Sunday.

5 Likes

Same here. Thought about it. Spent last Saturday hung over in bed. This time not.

1 Like

Yeah man. Sames. My fiancé is out with her friends tonight and is staying the night. I had to literally look at myself in the mirror and say “ no. Don’t go to the gas station for that beer. It won’t make you happy. You’ll feel like shit tomorrow. You’ll hate yourself.” Happy Friday, right? Lol

1 Like

I get it. I do.

1 Like

You may want to, but you dont have to…and you’ll be hating on yourself in the morning with that hangover you dont need either…hang in there…

3 Likes

Had a couple of nights like that. I had to get my youngest daughter to make sure she didn’t go to her friends once. Just so I had accountability! It’s gets easier. Just have to distract yourself.

1 Like

I get it, I get it, I get it. I forgive myself and keep it moving :slight_smile: Cravings are temporary today, and it looks like you totally know that. See you on the road of happy destiny!

1 Like

I get it. I have been drinking for the last 20 years or so. Now my brain associates everything with drinking. Any social occasion, any party, barbeque, picnic, anything - I feel like drinking. Without it something seems to be missing.

I drank out of control for 13 years and I didnt think I would ever have fun again when I first got sober :slight_smile: AA dinners at local restaurants, sober karoake gatherings at bars and the local AA clubhouse, and hosting my own sober dinner parties and birthday parties has gone far in convincing me otherwise, attending concerts and sporting events that sell alcohol sober (used antabuse and lots of care at first because I didnt trust myself and cravings/ feeling deprived was still rough that first year). I dont think you have to believe that just yet, as long as you leave room for the possibility it can also happen for you in time.

1 Like

I’m not going to use. I’m just going to sit in the dirt alone crying. At least this way I save 20$. Either way I’m ending up alone crying. Sober or high…

1 Like

This is what’s keeping me going. That and looking forward to getting back to my meetings next week.

3 Likes

I’m exactly the same. When the thought comes up I make my mind go somewhere else. Be strong.

It the way it’s ingrained in our society! If you start saying to yourself “I no longer drink” you will start believing it.
Thing to do is not worry about the next party, BBQ etc. Work on today!
I no longer drink and can walk in a pub and without thinking about it order a soft drink.
I don’t go often, because it’s tempting fate, but I no longer see myself as a drinker. I still get drinking thoughts though. Bloody demon!!!

1 Like