I want to loose weight!

Is there any recommended supplements i can take that actually work? I was on the keto diet lost weight but then fell off the diet. I really want to get healthy since i been sober and able now. Any suggestions?

1 Like

Me too-i gained 25lbs in an alcoholic depression. Iā€™m going back to what I know works. Eating clean and tracking calories.

4 Likes

Walk, walk, walk. I know Iā€™m a broken record on this but I lost 40 pounds after I quit drinking, mostly because of my fitbit. Itā€™s easy, low impact, and sustainable. I walk everywhere and I like it. You will too once you start seeing results. The only caveat, is that you actually need to get out there and do it --consistently. Get to know your neighborhood and city on intimate terms, get the blood flowing, get the stink off of you, just get out there! It works!

7 Likes

Thanks thats somthin i will def try! i will start next week we jus had a snow storm an below freezing temperaturesā€¦ :snowflake::snowflake::snowflake::snowflake: sux its winter but i will jus bundle up i suppose

2 Likes

Yep, weā€™re really cold here too, though no snow. Two things Iā€™ve learned in the last three and a half years of walking/ fitbitting, is to wear comfortable shoes and always dress for the weather! Best of luck!

1 Like

Will do!! Thanx

Supplements can help, but should be a last resort to diet. Like @Alliecat said, walking will speed things along if hitting the gym isnā€™t an option. If the gym is an option, stay away from the treadmillā€¦ Also increase your water intake. Depending on your weight, a gallon of water a day will help.

1 Like

Itā€™s stoooopid cold right now. My Fitbit stays for the last week are quite sad. I think Iā€™m going to have to break out the snow pants just so I can get in some steps!!

2 Likes

:grin: yes i need to do the same! But the kids school have been cancelling i cant drag them all out walking they eventually fall behind or i will :persevere::grin:

bring the kids!

Ok okā€¦ No more excusesšŸ˜

1 Like

My advice is going to go along with everyone else. I would advise against any specific diet. Eat clean something like vegetables based is a good choice not completely vegetarian or paleo they both focus on clean healthy food.

Exercise. I personally run. Find something you enjoy. Running or walking is the easy to start. Find a 5k about 3 months away and make it a goal!! Then after you can choose to keep run or add in some weight training and core to help your overall fitness.

Either way find a running store and get fitted for a good pair of shoes. I worked at a running store and I had so many people tell me getting good shoes helped them keep there goals. If your feet hurt you will not want to exercise.

Last thing just to be aware of. Try and not overeat. You will burn a lot of calories, but it will make you hungry. A lot of people overcompensate and eat those extra calories and never lose weight.

Good luck!!!

Hereā€™s my take. Losing weight is more than a diet, to change your body you need to change the way you live, not just what you eat. There is no magic bullet diet that will make you lose weight long term, almost all fast weight loss diets are not sustainable long term.

To be successful long term, it will take a while. Want to lose 50 pounds? Expect that to take a year.

So, what should you do? Calories in/calories out, that simple. If you need 2500 calories to function, have a 500 calorie deficit and you will lose a pound a week, which is recommended healthy pace.

How do you do that? Eliminate added sugar from your diet and eat fewer carbs. Eat fresh fruits/vegies and less red meats. Exercise at least 30 minutes a day (get your heart rate above 100 BPM). Get plenty of sleep everyday and drink plenty of water.

Making small changes over time will help become successful long term because your not shocking your body and you create healthy habits.

Be patient, it takes a while but after 2 months of doing what I recommend, people will notice!

4 Likes

4 Likes

Take a walk to the park and while they play you keep walking. Also there is an app called ā€œCouch to 5kā€ if you want to slowly add in some running.

That is the perfect answer right there. If you stay within those guidelines and find food you enjoy and an exercise routine that keeps you motivated then you create something you can do for life.

2 Likes

How far are you walking to get results?

Any diet pills that have actually worked have been taken off the market due to other deathly side effects, so no, there arenā€™t any supplements or pills. And frankly, itā€™s also not a sustainable option. The truth is, these fad diets may work in the beginning, but nobody stays on them forever - because they truthfully arenā€™t healthy or something that is easy to maintain for the long run, so you inevitably gain it all back. Weight loss is most easily achieved by changing your lifestyle and eating habits to less processed, whole foods and lower fat and sugar, coupled with regular exercise and weight training. And the real bottom line is burning more calories than you consume every day while doing that. Once youā€™ve lost the weight that is realistic - not every body can safely be any specific weight (shoot for a pants size or body mass index rather than a number on a scale), your new lifestyle choices should be a habit and things should plateau.

1 Like

I follow the 5:2 diet. It works for me. 5 days I eat normal an 2 days I restrict the amount of calories I ate. I have the weight I want now! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Ah heck, Iā€™ll jump in too. Good old fashioned exercise plans helped me drop 30 lbs in four months.

That led also to naturally leveling my appetite so I was eating more regular instead of gorging on junk as I would often do drinking. Cut out fast foods and brought fancy salads to work for lunch. La Croix instead of sugary fruit drinks, plain black coffee instead of whatever you call what Starbucks makes, andā€¦ that other stuff I gave up drinking.

With proper diet and exercise, 6-8 lbs/month is a healthy rate if thereā€™s extra. Itā€™s said the body tends to then maintain much more easily, fluctuate less.

Iā€™ll say that seems true, too. Basically took a month off over the holidays and diet went out the window. Didnā€™t gain a pound (did lose some strength/stamina), much to my amazement!

Some sit ups, some push ups. A walk and one fewer latte or piece of candy. All those little things can add up over time.

1 Like