I was two years clean then I broke leg should I consider it a relapse?

I have been clean for two years I broke my leg and needed multiple surgery’s and because of the pain I was put on opioids again so going back on them should I consider it as a relapse or just a medical advice or doctors

Well you have enough knowlege to know what opiates can do. I would not consider it a relapse as its medical advice. But if you start abusing and taking more then prescribe and have to buy more on the street. Then u have relapsed. Just know to be careful using them. Wd is not pleasent on opiates. Higher the doses u take the worst the wd will get if u take them a while. Know that it only takes a week or two to become dependant on them…

5 Likes

Have you discussed non-opiate options with your doctors and are they aware of your history?

If it was prescribed as a course of treatment, and not abused, then I wouldn’t consider it a relapse, but I am me, and you are you. Were it me, I would tell the doctors I will not take anything narcotic, until all non-narcotic options have been tried.

4 Likes

I broke my foot a couple years back-trampoline accident in Vegas, very proud moment… At least I was sober lol

Anyways, someone once told me how drs decide to give you pain pills or not, so I decided to play it safe and not try to get them and because of that and the fact that I played Lazer tag for two hours after it was broken, the urgent Care Dr didn’t really think anything was wrong with my ankle/foot. Fortunately she “believed me” when I told her something wasn’t right and did the x Ray’s to find out it was broken.

Anyways, like @Yoda-Stevie said, you are you and I am me. Personally I wouldn’t consider it a relapse, but I would do everything in my power to not take those painkillers.

Great job on 2 years, that’s a wonderful accomplishment. I’m sorry about your broken leg :frowning:

4 Likes

Omg I have to know what happened lol.

I honestly wish it was more exciting lol I go to Vegas every year, my dad and his wife live there and it’s about a 4 hour drive for us. It’s an easy vacation for me and my kids.

Anyways we decide to go to one of those indoor trampoline parks, they have everything-rock climbing, obstacle course, zip line etc. It’s pretty expensive but my kids are really excited. So we get in, take our shoes off and I start jumping like crazy, thinking it’s the best feeling ever. And I get way higher than I wanted and totally out of control, and end up landing on the trampoline, but close to the platform it’s connected to-so little to no “give”, I basically landed from 7/8 feet in the air, on the ground, rolled my ankle so hard it broke my foot. For a split second It felt like my foot literally flew off my leg. Anyways, this was only 10! minutes after getting there. I was 32 and feeling like my age had caused this-this would never happen if I was younger :roll_eyes: lol My pride got to me, and I just walked it off so to speak. Did all the other activities-tried to at least. Got home and ended up crawling because I couldn’t walk. So it was inevitable, I had to do to urgent care where they said my foot had been broken.

I have talk to both of the doctor that i see there all aware of the addiction I have had I make it known to save my own butt I’m not taking extra I really don’t want them at time I do need it but at same time it feels not right because where I’ve been before so inside it has my head twisted all up it was first bone I ever broke and I’ve had two surgery’s already it shattered the tibia and knee at joint and not working and chair bound it taking toll

2 Likes

Sounds like a nasty injury. It also sounds like you are being very mindful of the potential dangers of opiates, as you have experience in addiction.

Responsible doctors prescribe them for a reason: to alleviate the worst pain. Responsible patients take them as directed and only for the purpose prescribed.

I wouldn’t get too wrapped up in whether or not this is a relapse, and focus more on recovering from your injury, so the drugs are no longer neccessary. Communication with your doctors is key. Keep it up and stay strong in will and determination.

1 Like

Mine happened on Labor Day me and my gf have been together for four years and we got three girls the oldest was arguing she went in her room and start throwing stuff so I tried open door it was locked so I kicked it and miss hit the door frame and and now here I sit went from working 50 hours going groups twice weekly and now I can’t hardly get out lol

Ask your doctor if it is ok to take Turmeric extract (curcumin) as part of pain management. It’s a spice, found in curry and other Indian foods. I train in martial arts. I am 52, and have several service-related issues with knees, back, shoulders, neck. Most days at least something on me hurts. Turmeric and Ice is how I manage pain. I don’t even take OTC pain relievers.

After the break heals, you will likely have residual pain for some time. Cold weather or exertion will cause flare ups of pain. Might even be chronic. Turmeric will help tremendously. I’ve recommended it to many folks here, and almost all have reported that it has helped.

1 Like

Dang girl!! I’m in AZ and we have those indoor trampoline parks here too. My kids want to go so bad but I’m like nope! I would totally hurt myself too. I’m 33 but act like I’m 65 :slight_smile: . Broken foot sounds terrible.

1 Like

Haha right lol I’m the same way now at 34 because I don’t want to break anything else by being “wreckless” :joy:

3 Likes

This just cemented my resolve to never go to an indoor trampoline park - no matter how much my kids beg.

2 Likes

:100: agree with that conclusion.

My husband also messed up his back in those 10min as well jumping on the trampoline.

1 Like

When my husband was 8, he broke his ankle on a trampoline. He was on it with some other kids who thought he was screwing around and kept bouncing - as his ankle kept hitting the trampoline. Makes my skin crawl😫.

1 Like

IMO you’re not taking them to get high, you’re taking them to relieve pain. Breaking a leg effing sucks… if I have to get surgery I guarantee I will be taking whatever they prescribe me. But, if you’re feeling guilty about it maybe there is a reason. I think really only you can decide whether or not you will be able to discontinue use when no longer needed for pain…

2 Likes

This is a really good point. Ive given birth to 3 children (vaginally with stitches), broken my fibula (snaller bone in calf), broke my right humorous (funny bone), and fractured my ankle twice. Then I had a horrible case of bronchitis that actually fractured 2 ribs. The rib fracture was, by far, the worst pain I’ve ever experienced as far as a break. I alternated 800mg ibuprofen and Tylenol Arthritis. That’s all they could do for a fractured rib. They dont wrap them anymore because it causes pneumonia which would habe been horrible.

Tylenol Arthritis is a higher does than the extra strength, and it is timed release. You take it every 8 hours as opposed to 4. 800mg ibuprofen is every 6 hours. I suggest trying that before you take any kind of narcotic pain reliever because of your history. Having it in the hospital isn’t a relapse because it is controlled by medical staff. Taking it at home is just too risky.

1 Like