I went on another bender and need guidance

Please anyone talk to me. I am crying in my room. Can someone tell me some of the healthy coping mechanism that helped you out. It feels like if I don’t drink then my life is useless. I don’t plan on doing anything crazy, I just need to talk to someone

2 Likes

Hey, hugs

It’s the acceptance that for some time, it’ll suck, and be hard.

Coping for me was getting help, trusted friends, AA, therapist, to be able to lean on them to have a chance at new coping.

All you have to do is not pick up. Stay more at home, do light exercise using YouTube, eat good food.

It’ll pass, but you have to give it a shot.

5 Likes

The biggest game changer for me was to start going to meetings. I went every day, sometimes more than one a day, and before I knew it those days started to add up. For me, I got so many answers and so much purpose at meetings. Today, my life is good and I am learning to like and love myself :two_hearts::bird:

3 Likes

Thank you guys. It’s really hard keeping it in

My most healthy coping mechanism for my drinking, was staying sober. I had to do whatever was required to say “no” to the drink that matters…the first drink. I knew if I said “no” to the first drink, there couldn’t be a second or third or eighth.

So what to do to say “no” to the drink that matters? I walked and listened to podcasts, right after work, when I usually said “yes” to the first drink. I prayed a lot. I ate a lot. I slept a lot.

And things started getting better after day 3. Not miracle healing type better. Just a bit better. I kept adding bits of better every day, and soon I was noticeably better. That anxiousness and restlessness was now manageable, for not only had it lessened, but I had grown stronger.

You can do this. Decide to be better, and then be better. Sober is better. You don’t need to get better to be sober. You need to be sober to get better. Start there. Sober. Better.

Then keep getting better at getting better each and every day. Better today than you were yesterday and tomorrow better still.

3 Likes

Glad you are reaching out for help. That was a huge step for me.
Believe in yourself you can do this. If you cant believe in yourself, know that I believe in you.
Some things I did in the beginning
Watch movies videos podcasts about using/drinking
Listen to AA speakers online
Go to a meeting
Read books about it. This naked mind really touched me as well as tons of others
Clean the kitchen then the bathroom then bedroom etc
Organize… everything
Take a shower/ bath
Walk
Eat
Nap
Mani/pedi
Run
Swim
Paint
Come here Everyday
Play games on your phone
Just dont drink/use for today
Just this hour or this minute
I had to tell myself that I could drink tomorrow it wasnt forever
Then tomorrow repeat.
You got this

3 Likes

We were just discussing this in my AA meeting tonight. Keeping things to ourselves is a gateway back to drinking. Keep posting and asking for help

Thank you guys so much. Made it through today.

4 Likes