I went to my first AA meeting today

After many weekends of relapses and feeling helpless and alone I finally decided to make myself get to a meeting. I drank before it which was not good but overall it was a great experience and I’m glad I went. Still feel overwhelmed by this problem but it’s nice to know there are people all over the place who have been through/are going through the same thing. Everyone was so welcoming and I’m going to make another one this weekend! I also feel stronger going into this weekend and want to make it a sober and healthy one. I hope everyone is doing well out there and know that you’re not alone in this.

12 Likes

Maybe that friendship and comradery is what you’ve been missing.

3 Likes

Glad you liked it pal! The first time I didn’t drink was after my very first meeting. I had been trying without success for months and months to stop on my own. I could not even make it 24 hours man. Somehow I just always ended up with a drink in my hand.

My last drink was on Sunday March 5,2017. It broke my wife’s heart one more time when she smelled it on me. Broke mine one more time to see that look on her face. I told her I would try a meeting tomorrow. I didn’t drink the whole next day and went to a 5oclock meeting.

Something sparked in me at that meeting because for the first time, I didn’t drink that night. They told me to keep coming back and to not drink between meetings. I did just that.

I just wanted to share that. Thanks for bring that memory up for me:)

I’m glad you are here! Keep coming back:)

5 Likes

Your no longer alone glad you enjoyed your meeting

4 Likes

@Gabe.G @Nullcorp @Ray_M_C_Laren thank you for your comments and stories!! Turned down a few opportunities to drink tonight and am sleeping early😊

3 Likes

Keep at it!

1 Like

Welcome keep going. Make it a part of your life. Best advice I ever got was “keep your mouth shut for the first 90. You don’t know shit.” So I sat, listened, went to more and applied what the winners do to my life.

1 Like

Don’t feel bad about drinking before the meeting. Just keep going! I used to smoke crack before AA. One guy with 23 years talks about how he did coke in the bathroom. Just keep going and keep listening and eventually something will stick. We had a guy show up hammered the other day and we all made sure to go up and say hi to him. We are alcoholics. We drink at bad times. Now the thought of a drink repulses me. I just hung out with a female guys from the program watching college basketball and had more fun there than I have in a long time. My stomach still hurts from laughing so hard.

1 Like

Keep comming back to your meetings , its working :slight_smile: AWESOME :muscle::muscle::muscle:

1 Like

Thank you for this. Been getting lots of encouragement to go but I have a strange resistance for AA but I’m our rural area there’s only one group who meet 3 times a week. But I also Ann feeling the need for real time support e even though this online help is awesome. Thanks for this😉

Keep at it. Get some numbers too. Keep coming back and form some healthy friendships with people who have some sober time piled up.

1 Like