Ideas of books/game apps to distract from cravings please!

Hi, this is my first time being really active on the app. Been here for a week but sober for a month before I signed in. I’ve been pretty good at fighting my urges up to now as I’m pretty broke financially at the moment.
However, I just got received the news that I’ll receive quite a big amount $$ within the next few days. I can already feel it challenging my (still fresh) sobriety. I’m looking for recommendations for books, app games, anything that could keep my mind busy. Thanks a lot to everyone. We got this. :muscle:t3::raised_hands:t3:

3 Likes

There are lots of good ones (I use Audible a lot - take a walk & listen to an audiobook) but honestly the one thing that helped me really make good progress in sobriety in th me early days was joining a recovery group. I attend a group in my city & keep in touch with members throughout the week - I’ve made some friendships - and at moments of real vulnerability for me, those are the things that keep me sober, give me a person to reach out to.

1 Like

Indeed I feel like I should give a try to audio book, although I love the feeling and smell of a real book. Classic haha. :books: :older_woman:t3:

My issue with meetings right now is that I don’t have a car at the moment and I have pulmonary problems. Therefor, public contacts have to be very limited. I do have many support systems, but I’m mostly looking to focus my mind elsewhere when I’m home alone. Because I’m afraid I’ll be tempted :persevere:

3 Likes

Hello congrats on staying sober im distracting myself with learning how to make e books and other forms of passive income on u tube it helps me distract stay safe

2 Likes

Haha well GOT would def keep me busy for a while ! Any ideas is duly noted for my visit to the bookstore tomorrow :grimacing:

Thanks for the kind words and for the advice !! It’s a pretty cool idea. Finding ways to make money instead of throwing it away !

Hmmm I totally understand! :smile: Try checking in here when you feel tempted. Always someone to talk to :innocent:

1 Like

I can give you some suggestions nfor games, but I won’t play them with you since im a gaming addict in recovery.
Free fire
PUBG
Triple town
Cookie clicker
Mirage realms
Cod battlegrounds
There’s some free time killers and shooters for you for mobile phone

1 Like

If you like to learn, there’s a language learning app called Duolingo that you can use for free. There’s also an app called Mimo that will introduce you to coding like HTML, css, and Javascript. Audio books are also awesome.

2 Likes

Awesome !! I usually don’t have much games but I feel like it’s the perfect time to download some :slight_smile: thanks !

1 Like

Yes I gave up learning Spanish as a third language. I think I’ll give it another shot. Perfect timing to learn a new language:p

1 Like

Yeah, you don’t need to money to get out into the world. Don’t know where you live but there has to be at minimum a park you can walk around and go and spend time just sitting enjoying nature.
Reconnect with your surroundings, enjoy what you feel and see.
Drinking will be the furthest thing from your mind.

Bro well done you were a depressed cocaine addict, you are a real champ I’m so admired. Bro just delete your dealer number and try to learn a new hobby like playing guitar, violin or anything you’d like. You’re a battler, fighter and warrior my guy. Just focus on anything that could play your mind out of the cravings as I told you and don’t relapse. You’ve reached a very good level :slight_smile: