I'll just have one

So I’ve decided to join this group as I want to make a change and need help , if I look back I’ve always been addicted to something alcohol, cigarette you name it I’ve always had a go to vice. I turned 40 this year and told myself that by the time I hit 40 I would be the best version of myself and yep you guessed it 3 months later and nothing has changed.
I drank a bottle of wine last night standard amount for me and woke up this morning realising that I attribute any stress in my life to drinking and I’m over it . I hope by joining this group I can make the change I want so badly as I do t feel alone in my fight.
I will check in every day and hope that 6 months from now I will be my best me and free of all of my addiction s

11 Likes

Welcome! This rag-tag group of addicts and alcoholics have helped me stay sober! I turned 40 this year too, and knew it was time to grow up and be the best I can be. Good luck to you and I hope to see you around!

6 Likes

I’ll just have one… 24 hour period of sobriety. Take it day by day. It’s a method that has worked for me for almost 11 months.

Welcome to the forum. A good place to get and stay sober. Read, relate and ruminate.

7 Likes

Welcome! You are on a path to getting better. Talking sober is one of the main reasons I have been able to keep it together. Keep reading and coming back.

2 Likes

I need this more than ever … I didn’t realize what kid of a monster drugs are… I’ve never needed someone before but I’m not afraid to say I need help

3 Likes

Well do more than need or want, commit to it.

Everyone’s motivated the first hour, but it takes more than need.

Find a program that you can stomach and work it. No one understands the struggle, the plight, the yearning more than another alcoholic/addict.

3 Likes

Welcome here!
This app helped me a lot! It keeps me focused.
Other things that helped me are:

No alcohol in my house
Refigarator filled with nice food and alc. free drinks
Telling my spouse about my sober plan
Avoid alcohol related activities and friends (at least in the beginning)
Having a day counter
Avoid wine section supermarket and liquor store
Taking a strong vitamine B complex
Taking melatonin to help me sleep
Be gentle to myself, like go to bed early, taking a long bath, etc.
When craving: do anything but don’t drink so walk, run, work out, eat chocolat, watch Netflix, clean, study, whatever.
Be here every day to read and check in sober

I wish you well! :heart:

3 Likes

Umm IV been sober over a month… I’m doing OK … But I need people is all I was saying …

2 Likes

Congrats on a month.

There’s people in recovery everywhere, it’s really easy to find them in meetings and such.

Keep working on yourself, a month is quite early.

Thanks everyone for your support I’m trying every day I have had a day of laps Christmas parties have killed me but that fully they are over now I can breathe and just focus one foot in front of the other each day