I'm 14 days sober from alcohol

I’m 26 and I just quit beer everynight… It use to be two tall boys, then three, then up to four a night for about two months… I only drank at night and never during the day… I also use to be very active and did kickboxing for two years before I started my habit… It’s all started in June last year I started to drink I got injured in a sparring session a week before a major fight in iowa… I was so bummed I went back to drinking… I quit 30 days b4 my fight and had no problems quitting because I had martial arts… I wanna say this before I go any further I use to drink when I was a teenager… Around 16- 21 years old I was drinking. But not every night it was a every Now and the thing back then… I didn’t need it I just did it with my friends and at parties… And didn’t see the harm in it yet… But as I got older around 21, I met my wife… And by the time we hit 23 we are having our first son… I’m terrified lol but I wasn’t bad then… I took care of business and my son… That’s when I got into martial arts and focused on being a good human… I even stopped smoking cigs and drinking so much… I remember just not having drinks weeks at a time… No problem at all… I was good… Although 8 months in I drank a lot on Christmas eve, and broke my scapula going upstairs… That put my martial arts in hold for a while then came the drinking again… I remember the doc saying “you don’t drink like this every night do you?” And I said no… Which is true I don’t get blackout drunk everynight… It was just a special night… But after I was healed I went back to fighting… And I was happy again! By this time I was getting ready for my june 2017 fight… Was so focused running 4 m everyday training muay thai everyday… Hell they even wanted me teaching classes… I was becoming a stud dude… But ever since I got hurt for the second time this past June ive just been lazy and back in the drinking cycle… I went back to the gym a couple times but kept pulling myself back… Been in and out of jail twice since August 2017 for tickets from my young years… Also a public intoxication this past July yes the July after my scheduled fight last year… It’s crazy how bad you can go from good to bad like that… I use to have a four pack but I gained all my weight back… I was down to 140 pounds for my fight I was tight… Now I’m back pushing 170… Ever since last year it’s been down hill… My grandma almost died and I couldn’t like accept it or something… But now I take care of her and I take her to the doctor and her appointments… I see her getting old and eating sugar… She’s type 2 diabetes so that’s no bueno… I feel sad for her and my grandpa too… Its a lot to deal with emotionally plus i have a son who is 3 now… I feel like i was drinking to deal with all this… But it really just slowed eveything down… I was missing appointments and sleeping in… Not going outside not training not really winning at life… Not being all that I know I can be… So this is where I’m at now… I’m fucking done! I want to go back to being a badass father… A martial arts instructor a happy active guy… I want to take better care of my grandma… I want to be a better husband… So I think I know what I need to do right now… Everything is falling into place now I’m almost free of all my tickets…Which is only two and I have time served on them… I’m 14 days sober, i went from 16oz 6 pk of beer a night for two months to none… I can say i feel better… The worst was the first few days… I felt anxious and was sweaty shaky, trouble sleeping… But I’m past that now… Every now and then I get a little sad or depressed or can’t really decide what I want to do… But I know what I gotta do man and it’s martial arts… The feelings I’m getting are less and less though I must say… I just want to get back to that grind of ass kicking and life… Pure good rich life… I know its possible… Drinking was garbage… I hate what it did to me… I can handle these little mood swings I’ve been punched and kicked and kneed a lot harder then this bs… I’ll be back for more posts… I want to tell others about this… And that it is possible…

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing that dude! 14 days is awesome and I’m looking forward to hearing more.

Stay Strong Nuk Soo :pray:

1 Like

Well done mate. You’re doing so well.

1 Like

Congrats, add 1 more day

2 Likes

Have you read Musahi’s Book of Five Rings? You are a student of martial arts. You know “the path” and how to walk it. If something enables your staying on the path, like work and family, it is good. Anything that pulls you off the path, such as drinking or unhealthy habits, is bad.

You have learned the secret of mastery. It is self-discipline. In learning to master your martial art, you have learned the secret to mastering all things. This secret is self-discipline.

Use this to master sobriety. Get back on the path. You know the way. Go the way.

I would also suggest you pick up a copy of “Get Back In The Fight”. It’s a book written by martial artists, for martial artists for the prevention of, and recovery from injury. In recovery, that is the fight in front of you. You have to use all of your strength and self-discipline to recover.

2 Likes

I have not read that book… But that sounds great and I just wish it would have clicked for me sooner… It’s not too late to get back at it… I know I can do it and all my friends and family know I can… I gotta get back on that warrior path… Also this Get back in the fight book I may just pick it up… Reading also helped me in hard times… Thanks for the words brother… I’ll be posting more when I get back to training…

You are a wise man to see your self so clearly. Stand strong.

1 Like

Thank you… :slight_smile: