I'm glad I have some sober time under my belt for this

I’m going to see an attorney this morning about the way I was unexpectedly let go from my job on Monday morning. Feeling raw all over again as a result! I don’t think I could have gotten through all this without drinking if I were in my first 6 months of sobriety!! I will find out if I have any way to fight back against this, and if they let me go according to the California employment laws. I can feel all of this, EVERYTHING, and am not drinking! I’ve been reaching out to others and going to meetings. It works!

25 Likes

Good luck to you!

1 Like

Thank you!! :orange_heart:

1 Like

You’re welcome! :heart:

I am sorry to hear about your job. I hope things go well with the attorney and moving forward!! Great job on staying sober!!!

2 Likes

I wish you the best of luck.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about your job. But wtg on sticking up for your rights!
Let us know how it goes.

1 Like

I just got back home from seeing the attorney and no good news for me. So I am feeling it ALL again. I will just start looking for a new job right away and do the best I can going forward. Sigh! Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement!

5 Likes

Use the law of attraction in your favor to land the job that pays well financially and emotionally. :heart:

5 Likes

9 Likes

Very well done. One thing I find with the clarity if being sober is looking back on situations that would trigger me to drink, and thinking how did drinking actually help? It didn’t, in fact just made the situation even worse! We’re much better equipped to handle stressfull situations sober!

3 Likes

I agree! In hindsight, drinking was like giving up on myself, and thinking I didn’t have what it took to handle things. Then I would blame my family for my lack of confidence and lash out at them, especially my mom and brother. We are on a much better sober-path now!

4 Likes

This is a wonderful strong story. Glad you took the time and shared it. Nothing is too big when you’re sober, everything is manageable

1 Like

Great your using meetings they help you deal with everyday stuff that we coudnt in the past, hope your appeal goes ok wish you well

Meanwhile, you should look into filing for unemployment benefits if you haven’t already done so.

I don’t think it applies in the U.S. if you’ve been fired, @KevinesKay.

Oh, that stinks. Sometimes, bring fired doesn’t automatically disqualify one from getting unemployment. When my coworker and friend got fired, the company tried to avoid paying unemployment by saying he was grossly negligent. Even though he made a few mistakes, gross negligence was an overstatement. He fought it and won. I don’t think he went to a lawyer. He simply applied and fought the refusal himself.

Yeah, I would still file for unemployment benefits if I was terminated.

The employer would have to show that I was terminated for a justifiable cause which would include:

Misconduct ( violating a company policy)
Inappropriate or illegal behavior
Poor attendence record

And if my claim is denied, I have the right to appeal and explain the circumstances of my termination.

3 Likes

In our AA big book, it is written

Practical experience shows that nothing so much will insure immunity from drinking as intensive work with other alcoholics.

When I have friends in this situation, and when I occasionally find myself here, I reach out to newcomers at meetings, or just call friends I haven’t seen in a while, just to see how I can be of service, just to find out how they are doing. I invariably feel better about my circumstances after that.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone. I cannot believe how terrible I feel right now realizing now this was my fault. And my old job is not longer available for security - I asked them today. I’m okay for 2 months on the finances I have. It is super scary to be in this place! If my posts sound like I have been up and down, that is completely accurate! I am going camping in the mountains with my twins but will check here if I can. I am packing through tears!

1 Like