I'm glad I have some sober time under my belt for this

Hoping that some time in nature will soothe your soul. Nothing needs to be figured out right now. :heart:

1 Like

@KevinesKay and @anon67035918, you guys are both right. I will apply on Monday for unemployment benefits. :pray:

2 Likes

Goodluck… California is an “at will” state and can fire you under any circumstance. Usually by law if you were fired You will be able to file for unemployment after 30 days. You can file a appeal at unemployment and they will investigate themselves whether they fired you lawfully without paying for an attorney. Usually its best to just keep looking for a job instead of wasting energy to fight back not staying focused. Just file for unemployment and turn the page …it can be frustraiting when you get fired for really no reason at all or something other people do but you were in the cross lines…

2 Likes

My understanding and experience with unemployment is that your firing must be from “intentional misconduct” to not qualify for benefits. I live in an at-will work state and my husband has collected unemployment for being fired (for drinking at work).
Your employer would have to fight your benefit request for it to be denied. His apparently thought firing him was enough.

3 Likes

I’m back from our camping trip.

Today I am meeting with a friend for emotional support. Then I will start the process of applying for unemployment. I will also send my updated resume to a headhunter I have been speaking with.

Day 7 since being let go from my 5-week old job, with zero alcoholic beverages consumed. Stay strong, everyone!!

4 Likes

Day 9 since being let go from job. ZERO alcoholic beverages consumed! About 24 Kombuchas consumed! :slight_smile: – It is my replacement beverage. One time I tried to cut back to save some $$ and I was completely triggered, even having then about 2 years sober! :grimacing:

The headhunter knows what she’s doing and has had long relationships with 2 of the best firms in my city for the work that I do. As we speak, she is sending them my resume and trying to set up interviews for me at both places.

I used to try to control my job hunt when I was drinking and had terrible results. Now I am letting someone else do some of the work for me. I might have to do an amends to one of the firms for 4 years ago having interviewed with them and not been selected (but I am planning to just not bring it up!:kissing_smiling_eyes:). I sent a response email when they wrote that they wanted to hire someone more junior that just said, “Shit.” Then soon after, send a normal email thanking them. I was asking way too much money back then and that was pretty much all I cared about. Sigh! I am much more reasonable and nice without lots of alcohol in my system!!

2 Likes

Hey Karen. I’m so sorry I missed all this while on my vacation. I hope you are doing okay. Did they give you a reason for letting you go? Of course you don’t have to share the details, I was just worried for you since it sounds like it came out of nowhere.

HUGS

Good luck with the headhunter. I hope you find something quickly. And really, if they let you go like that then this job was clearly not the best place for you. Onward and upward!!

1 Like

Thanks, Susie. Things are okay, I am trying to stay busy and focused on what’s next… Thanks for the encouragement, I really appreciate it! :orange_heart:

I just got back on here after a few days of not being around again. Really sorry to hear that you are dealing with this. Wishing you good hunting!

1 Like

Thank you, Leila!