I'm new trying this out

I don’t know how this works, I’m hoping it’s better than AA in person. I don’t like talking in front of people. I got an OWI in Oct. 19 and doing this sobriety thing again for the 3rd time. 1st time lasted 1 yr 5 months 3 wks. 2nd only 83 days. I’m on 75 now. I hope this group will help me keep sobriety longer.

6 Likes

Hi, Welcome! Would you mind sharing what caused the relapse the first time? Or even the second?

I don’t personally go to AA so I can’t compare, but this site has definitely helped me stay sober

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum and Congrats on 75 days. I don’t like talking in front of others either but I still go to AA and I get a lot out of others that do share. I use this forum to communicate my feelings when needed but more importantly I read tons on here which helps tremendously. Also, checking in here daily gives us accountability. Here’s the link
Checking in daily to help maintain focus #6

5 Likes

Nothing replaces in-person sobriety support for me, but this forum is a nice addition when I feel like staying in :slight_smile: Welcome! You can find many good suggestions here that if practiced can help take your recovery to the sustainable level you are seeking.

5 Likes

Welcome! The more you read and get involved here, the more you’ll get out of it. Hope to be seeing you around!

3 Likes

AA saved my life didnt like talking in front of people but i stuck at it and it worked now cant get me to stop talking lol this sites good but face to face meetings made it easier for me got sober before internet or mobiles , funny was thinking what would happens if for some reason this site closed , so its important like a lot of guys here do pick and mix use other recovery ways aswell wish you well

5 Likes

The first relapse, I wanted to have the fun again. I’m a very shy person and alcohol opens me up. Makes me feel comfortable. I also thought that if I had just a couple drinks maybe one day a week or a couple a month. That I could handle that and still have my fun here and there. The second I just didn’t want to be sober any more.

Thank you I will keep that in mind. I’m in group therapy which is scary, but getting a little easier.

1 Like