I'm the dumbest smart person I know

Just need to vent here and be on record as trying to hold myself accountable. I relapsed over the past week. I was sober for almost two months, during which time I completed my doctoral degree. By all indications, I’m a smart person. Alcohol makes me so utterly stupid, though. Back on the sober train again. Choo choo.

6 Likes

Welcome back on board, there’s a lot of us dumb smart people here

3 Likes

Thanks. Good to be back.

Hello :slight_smile: you did it before you can do it again!

1 Like

Yeah. I’m thinking that a meeting might be a possibility.

Going to a meeting was the smartest thing I’ve ever done.

3 Likes

Dirtybones, are you sure you’re the dumbest? Because today I’m trying to reassemble my metal bed frame … I started 2 hours ago :unamused:

I think I win😶

2 Likes

If my will and my mindset were enough to get and stay sober I wouldn’t be on this forum or in AA. Alcohol is cunning, baffling, and powerful. It has nothing to do with how smart or strong you are or how much you want to be sober, many of us need help and need a program to follow to help us stay sober and to give us new tools to help us deal with life and become better people. Don’t beat yourself up, glad you’re back!

3 Likes

Welcome to the family of addicts an alcoholics. Got plenty of degrees to show I am smart, but booze got me everytime.

I heard in a meeting, “you can be so smart, you can smart yourself drunk”…that was me…perfectly.

6 Likes

I keep thinking that I can moderate the drinking and I end up failing every time.

1 Like

I tried that for 22 years. I couldn’t moderate, but I could sure lie to myself that I could.

3 Likes

Glad you’re back!

Same here. I’m very intelligent and pretty successful from it. But drinking just turned me into a pathetic nutcase.

1 Like