I'm thinking about quitting ciggs

It seems impossible for me to quit ciggs. I’m debating even posting this because I feel weak when it comes to ciggs. I’ve been smoking sence i was young. Over half my life I had a cig in my hand…

I’m only 3 days sober so maybe I’m moving too fast.

I think I’m going to start smoking less until the new years then at 12am on new years day just give it my all for as long as I can cold turkey.

I’m going to think a lot about this one

4 Likes

Less thinking, more doing. :wink:

Nic is a hard one. If you do jump on the wagon, here’s a good thread:

3 Likes

EDIT - It is possible for me to quit ciggs.

6 Likes

I’m smoking way less than I did when I drank but I’d love to kick this habit too. Maybe after I prove to myself how strong I am without alcohol I will be able to do it :+1:

2 Likes

I also quit smoking a few days after I quit alcohol. I did take nicotine gum until a week or two ago. It is hard, I think it’s harder then stop drinking (for me it is). Maybe ask you doc for meds and/or online therapy if you can’t do it on your own?
A friend of mine quit cold turkey and never looked back, but everybody is different. Im still struggling and eating like there’s no tomorrow.
Besides all that, a very good decision, Matt!

3 Likes

I would add though, first things first. If you’re like me (and I know I am), the booze derailed my life while nic was a thorn along the way.

Quitting booze was already a massive step.

2 Likes

Well, I can tell you one thing - for a lot of people, myself included, it’s pretty difficult to quit several different addictive substances at once. I’m not saying it can’t be done, but for me it was hard.

Maybe take it one thing at a time? You don’t want to overwhelm yourself and then give up on your sobriety altogether, right? :smirk:

3 Likes

I felt that I had to quit drinking to quit smoking and I had to quit smoking to quit drinking. I’ve tried quitting one or the other on so many occasions but one lead to the other, always.

The only way I was able to quit was to quit everything, at once. It is possible; never easy, but possible none the less.

6 Likes

Do you think new years day would be too much for me or too soon

Your totally right about risking my sobriety if I move too quick. The last time I quit substances and ciggs it fell apart with one ciggs

I’m starting to feel cocky or powerful… Like I think I can do it
but tomorrow could be different.

I think I’m moving too quick
But there is no hurt in slowing down my ciggs smoking at the least

:slight_smile: Thank you

2 Likes

Nic is totally like a thorn. I think I can understand

Oh wow your totally right

I can actually get perscribed gum by my Dr.

I think that’s a good direction

Good advice

Patience is a important

1 Like

I think only you can know that. :smirk: But I think yeah you might want to wait a few months. Or at least one or 2 months. Just take your time, there’s no big rush. Unless of course you have a series health condition.

I just worry that you might discourage yourself if you try too much at once is all. I’m not a doctor or a professional on the subject. See how your sobriety progresses for a while.

Oh yeah, of course by all means smoke LESS. Lol. :blush:

1 Like

Ok I can do that

It’ll happen when I’m really ready

Thank you

1 Like

I waited a year after i got sober i couldnt stop both same time but it worked , wish you well

3 Likes

Just do it now. Why wait. If you want to do it and you genuinely want to, then quit. Cold Turkey. No excuses. Just do it. Make the decision and stick to it. It may seem hard at first but it gets easier . I smoked since I was 12, I quit cold turkey. You can do anything you put your mind to in this life, just commit to it as that is no longer apart of who you are and stop. Your lungs and body will thank you , I promise. Procrastination is a form to indecision. Make the decision and do it and stick to it. :pray::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::heart:

4 Likes

Do not think about it. Just do it. You have nothing to gain from thinking about something that will only and always lead you to a negative dead end. You can do it. Just stop. Don’t think :heart:

2 Likes

You can do it now. You dont have to prove anything to your self or anyone for that matter. If you genuinelly want to quit, make the decision and do it . you can do it easily :100:

3 Likes

That’s true what you said about procrastinating being a form of indecision

I guess today I’ll give it a try to quit and tomorrow will be tomorrow :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Good on ya, wishing you the best

1 Like