Importance of working out and sobriety

What are your thoughtss on the gym and it’s importance in your recovery

4 Likes

I’d say physical health in general is important. For some people that’s the gym, and if it works for you, it works!

There’s a thread for gym folks here; it’s a great place to stay connected:

Welcome to Talking Sober! :wave:t2:

3 Likes

A strict exercise routine is what saved my ass.

Not only the regular physical release, but the discipline which surrounds engaging in a consistent workout routine.

3 Likes

What @TMAC said.

Once I stopped drinking, working out gave me a reason to keep getting up sober in the morning. If I wanted to look good, I couldn’t hit the gym hungover.

Then, the fact that I worked out in the morning made it easier for me to fall asleep at night so I wasn’t as consumed by the thoughts of needing alcohol to sleep. It’s become a hobby of mine and it’s something healthy and productive to focus your energy and time into.

6 Likes

I worked out when I was still drinking–i could do a 45 min bootcamp class hungover as heck, it’s amazing how normal feeling awful becomes and the things you learn to live with. For me, sobriety was a big important step towards feeling better about myself, improving my life and health, and trying not to die any sooner than I have to l, and while you do feel better and there are a lot of positive changes to the way you feel and the things you can do, the immediate-ish and quantifiable results (and the endorphins) of regular exercise coupled with sobriety can help you feel like progress is being made all over the place so if you do happen to have a wavering in your resolve for sobriety you can see and feel the progress you’ve made and it reminds you what you might have to lose. It helps practice discipline, it gives you something to do and something to look forward to, and if you join a group or regular class you can meet new people in a sober environment.

6 Likes

Body ,Mind and Spirit , and the gym is great thats what i did in early sobriety helped me get fit in body and mind and AA did the spirit wish you well

4 Likes

I love working my body and it feels so much better doing it sober, not hungover or dehydrated. Physical activity is a HUGE part of my life and vital in keeping me healthy body mind and spirit ( like Ray said!). :heart::sunny::heart:

4 Likes

I started a walking regimen with a great friend as soon as I decided to get sober. I walk with her most days with our dogs in a beautiful park. Great exercise and beneficial for my mental and emotional health as well. Establishing new healthy routines in sobriety is crucial. My walks a pillar of support for me then and now at 21 months sober. Meetings with AA and TLC are still part of my daily routine.

2 Likes

I personally find it a crucial part of my recovery. I do weight training and cardio and i find both have their benefits. Sometimes working out exhausts me so that i have no energy to even think about doing unhealthy things. It helps me to sleep better. I feel better overall mentally, emptionally, and physically which in turn reducces cravings. I also find exercise to be great for increased mood as well as settling my mind. This relates more to weight lifting bcuz i focus on that mind - muscle connection and absolutely nothing else enters my mind but that. It starts my day out on the right foot. I also find exercise to be almost a spiritual thing. Sounds kind of strange im sure but i often feel very grounded and connected. I coukdnt live without it honestly. Its helped alot

1 Like