In the search for love I lost my sobriety

So recently I was seeing this woman and I was 3 months sober when I met her. I explained the situation with my sobriety and she understood. On nights we spent together where she wanted to drink I’d have non alcoholic beer with her so I wouldn’t make her feel uncomfortable drinking in front of me. She’d always try and convince me to drink with her just once. That she liked me for who I was and would take care of me so it wouldn’t get out of control. For a while I would stand my ground and say no. But after almost 2 months of her trying to convince me I gave in. I was just shy of 5 months at the time. The next morning after drinking I felt all those old feelings that i felt when i drank come back along with resentment towards her. I ended the relationship and now i cant seem to get back on track.

12 Likes

We all have fell off the wagon either to impress or to feel like your part of the group at the barbecue etc.
U will get back on track.obviously she wasn’t the one for u.hopefully U will find that true one one-day.we all will

5 Likes

Ohhhhh tough one it’s said that when you get clean you try to avoid emotional relationships for 12 months and your story is why I gaureentee you if you were 12 months clean you would of walk the other way. Live and learn I stumbled at 5 months but I came bk stronger than I was before with more understanding that I 100%didnt want that life. Just visualizer the pain suffering, despair hopelessness this path will lead you too of you continue and then flip it and visulize the other life the serene calm happier, trusting caring gentle path. That choice is on you. Have faith friend

6 Likes

That is so true.i feel a lot better knowing I’m not going to feel like a zombie all the time the day after drinking with me I can’t stop at 1 or 2.i keep going till I pretty much fall down thats why I’m quitting

4 Likes

This is horrible! I am sorry for the situation you’re in and feel for you. This person is a dick for disrespecting your sobriety and trying to convince you to drink “cos it’ll be ok cos I’ll take care of you” :nauseated_face: how sick and manipulating!

Learn from this and surround yourself with people who have respect for you and your life!

Recommit to sobriety. This bad experience will not deter you from your life goals. Start afresh. Write out the list of reasons to stay sober, go back to your healthy habits, emotionally go through and beyond the break up and loss of sobriety. All the best!

3 Likes

How is this supposed to be helpful?

I’m glad you’re here talking about it. You have it in you, Raymond, to get back on track.

3 Likes

That is terribly hard. I don’t know why she couldn’t support u. She had her own issues, or couldn’t appreciate the severity of urs. U are doing the right thing committing to sobriety again. U will get back on track.

2 Likes

It’s more on the @Mimezombie to stand his ground!
People and places and things. These are all elements that can make us drink.
This is also why we shouldn’t make any changes like trying to date for at least a year. This very reason. You are not strong or comfortable in your sobriety to say no and mean it.
It’s not the other person’s fault.

2 Likes

It’s just saying that we haven’t all relapsed to please someone else.
I haven’t!

7 Likes

I hope so. The first week is just so difficult but I’m really putting in the effort. I’m committed to getting my sobriety back.

2 Likes

I’ve been single long that the thought of another year is just as scary as sobriety (that’s probably a whole other issue tho :rofl::joy:) but I think you’re right. Something I need to really take into consideration.

1 Like

We’re recommended not to get into any romantic relationsthe first year of recovery. The minute she asked you to drink with her, you should’ve gotten the fuck out, but you probably know that already. You fucked up and cant change that you did, but you have learned a valuable lesson. Remember it

4 Likes

I’m sorry to hear about that, but glad you’re back on track. I find dating in general to be very triggering. I have terrible anxiety attached to dating, and doing it sober is quite the challenge. Doing it while drinking is a big old hot mess.

So… I’m on hiatus now and I’ve learned to be content with myself. I almost feel like I’m good and may never date again. I’m enjoying this time. I was terrified of dying alone, but not anymore.

If someone doesn’t understand your addiction and pushes you to drink, it’s typically a red flag. I would say it depends if you were fully transparent or not.

Anyway, congrats on putting sobriety first and for being here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s funny how we are told not to get into romantic relationships in the first year. It assumes we are not in a relationship. Probably true for most of us. That’s what addiction does to us! :eyes:

1 Like

Hello Raymond.
Sorry to hear that you’ve relapsed. And sorry to hear that you were just unlucky to meet a person who has no idea about how hard addiction can be. Otherwise she would probably behave differently.
But remember that every decission of every day, hour or minute is always only up to you.
I am sorry that now it’s hard for you to get back on track. I know the feeling. Remember that you’ve already done it before and so you can do it again! Find the motivation again. Think about the difference between time when you’re drunk and time when you were sober. What’s better?
You made the choice to drink. Make another choice today and stay sober if you feel that it’s what you really want for yourself.
We’re here for you. You’re not alone. We all are a group of people around the world who are going through a similar problem. I think it’s exciting that we can seek the support here and always will get some :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I don’t know what he means, but I was going to say something similar, because some people who have relapsed say everybody does it to make themselves feel better. Saying all people relapse could cause people in early recovery to think it’s okay and it might send them down the deep end. And a relapse is not okay, but it’s not something to be ashamed of either, so no need to make you feel better

2 Likes

I hope you get back on track, I don’t think she understood the severity of your situation. Please do not be hard on yourself, and move forward fighting stronger, you can do it. Sometimes people do not think, perhaps caught up in their own world, we all been there. I would have a talk to her again about your soberility and how it makes you feel, she may be more considerate and understanding in the future. Hope it works out :blue_heart:

1 Like

If it’s been said already, I must have missed it…but seriously, good on you for recognizing that there was a problem in the relationship and ending it. That is a big deal! That shows you recognized the problem and made a change that was in the best interest of you and your sobriety. Now, think back to when you got sober to begin with and lean on the lessons you learned there to get back to that place. What worked for you? Have you tried that again? Do you need additional supports (so glad you’re here and reaching out). Hang in there and we’ll help how we can if you keep us in the loop. P.S., I used to work in recovery services in Southern AZ, and if you’re still in Douglas I know it’s a small community but there are AA meetings available (as far as I know) and other services if you need help. Access what’s out there if you find doing this on your own to be too hard. you’ll be doing yourself the best favor!

2 Likes

I feel you man I’ve been there and learned the hard way.if your gf or friend trys to get you back in that lifestyle you know is hell there get rid of them there not a good partner and there definitely not your friend.i got rid of so called friends I had for almost 20 yrs it’s hard but in the end you’ll be the person God intended you to be.

1 Like