Inclusiveness - "Hurtful Words"

I wanted to share this article from the Grapevine, the international journal of AA. I know not everyone is into AA, but i hope whatever your recovery plan, program, strategy, you might give it a read with an open mind and an open heart.
:two_hearts::bird:

23 Likes

Such a good article. Thank you for sharing it.

6 Likes

Great share.

7 Likes

This should be pinned at the top of the forum.

10 Likes

I was thinking that exactly. The first thing people see. Just to remind people and so that new people can see it as well.

5 Likes

@aircircle

There is some heavy stuff going on in my life right now. This was on my mind when I awoke this morning. It ties into your article and may help someone. Thanks so much for this and for sharing so much of yourself with us.

Continue to watch for selfishness, dishonesty, resentment, and fear. When these crop up, we ask God at once to remove them. We discuss them with someone immediately and make amends quickly if we have harmed anyone. Then we resolutely turn our thoughts to someone we can help. Love and tolerance of others is our code.

16 Likes

Wonderful post @aircircle and so needed. I was dismayed when I finally stumbled into the vegan post and saw the mess it had become. The moderator Joe @NewPerspective handled it beautifully and respectfully, but I was sad it had to get to that point.

Your post is a timely reminder that our words always matter and we must be vigilant to welcome newbies with care and compassion. We all stumble and that is okay, but we are all responsible for our selves.

Thank you. :heart:

12 Likes

Love having your voice here Ariel! A great lesson we always need to keep in mind before engaging with anyone whom we disagree with. Dissociate if you can’t offer helpful/kind advice, regardless of the arrogance that someone in early sobriety may bring to the table.

6 Likes

I appreciate also the reminder of the risk of arrogance in any stage of sobriety. Those who have what i want are those who remain humble and learning, regardless of how many days, months or years they have. If i let myself get complacent or arrogant, i am starting the path towards picking up a drink. :bird:

16 Likes

Meeting someone on their level, and communicating to them in words that They need is what truly makes the world a better place.

10 Likes

Bumping this one up, because I know I always benefit from rereading this article. :bird:

5 Likes

Very appropriate today, thank you for bumping up.

We are all where we are at…meeting eachother there with compassion is such a gift.

5 Likes

Tis easy to speak from our frame of reference, would we hurt yourselves? Offend ourselves? The true adult, measures their words from their audience’s perspective, and learns from their reactions.

3 Likes

Thanks for bumping it, I missed this first time round!

2 Likes

Great article thanks x

1 Like

Important and timely. Thanks for sharing👍

2 Likes

I was thinking about this article this morning and so I’m bumping it up.

7 Likes

Always relevant. If I’m not actively processing my resentments and acknowledging my part in them, I’m in dangerous territory.

4 Likes