Is anyone else physically exhausted?

I’m on my 5th day & while I can feel huge improvements (I’m very proud of myself, I haven’t been an asshole in a few days, I survived a dinner where there were plenty of opportunities to drink, my skin looks amazing & most importantly I feel very determined), I’m also EXHAUSTED. I usually sleep 7 hrs/night but now I struggle to get out of bed with less than 9-10. Is this normal?

7 Likes

I think so im very exhausted aswell

1 Like

First week or two i noticed an energy drop as well. Remember when you drink your system processes the alcohol first before it digests any food. So it takes some time for the body to remember what digesting food is like and getting all your energy from metabolizing regular solid food.

3 Likes

I am at 22 days. The first 2 weeks was mainly nausea and headaches. 3rd week, felt like I didn’t sleep at all when morning came. Also had crazy dreams that I slipped up and drank. Now, once I get moving the morning, I feel less exhausted. Exercise helps. Try to walk 20 to 30 minutes early. But in those afternoon hours, zombie me arrives. That is tough. I am hoping that trying to keep a regular sleep schedule will help. I am scared of PAWS. I am still motivated not to drink, but feel like I always have to keep vigilant.

1 Like

I was definitely exhausted the first week or two then had this crazy surge of energy for a few weeks. I was only sleeping a few hours a night but felt I could go all day.

I’m at Day 69 now and am feeling really tired in the mornings again. I’m hoping it’s just my body processing all the alcohol stored in my fat cells since I’m dropping weight right now. But I’m ready for the energy to come back soon!

1 Like

I’m on day 48 and I’ve had so many different feelings and emotions that it’s hard to name them all. It’s weird, even though I feel exhausted a lot of the time, and I can now feel all of my aches and pains, I still feel better than I have in a long long time. It’s hard to explain, and it is getting better. My sleep is amazing now, although i still don’t get enough of it. Have a great sober weekend!!

1 Like

Like you can’t believe. My mind and body feel like toast! It’s time to think clearer, make better choices, and have mental/physical freedom!!

1 Like

yes. that and now im drinking twice as much coffee and eating twice as much sugar!!! aghh… such an addict! but sober. so yup… with ya!

2 Likes

Exhaustion is normal, and for some it won’t change immediately.
I’ve been sober 130+ days and I still have days when I feel like I’m the walking dead. I SLEEP until I feel better, without judgement. I beat the shit out of my body for 15 years straight, of course I’m going to be exhausted during recovery!

2 Likes

Yup. . feeling that too!!! congrats on 100+ wow!

1 Like

Thank you all so much for the replies!! This community is wonderful!

1 Like

Might want to get blood work done done to check iron levels and liver function. My iron was low, electrolytes off, and liver enzymes elevated. Getting a recheck next month. Hopefully, there will be an improvement. Day 24. Maybe metabolism and energy level will get back in gear. We are in recovery. Stay strong!

1 Like

I’m at 146 days sober from alcohol and there are still days when I feel exhausted just gotta keep pushing through the days

I was for almost 9 months. I slept long hrs… 15 to 19 hrs. at a time… I just a starting to sleep normal hours. It will get better in time. Good luck.:four_leaf_clover::purple_heart:

1 Like

Thank you @lizak. I guess this is how the body heals and copes with recovery after years of abuse. I am glad not to be alone. Day 24 today.

You do remember it took us many many years to do this to our bodies… But I promise at 30 days, there will be a difference in the mirror. And as 6 months you will see a difference in your eyes and skin. And at 10- 11 months. The tiredness will go away. I promise…:purple_heart:I was on opiates for 40 years and alcohol for 30. Been clean 1 year yesterday.:ok_hand:

2 Likes

Congratulations! Thank you for encouraging words. I am determined to carry on!

1 Like