Is it anxiety or is it withdrawal?

It’s day 3 and I’m shaking. My hands can’t be still. My head feels like I can’t form a thought or make a decision to save my life. Yesterday I went from freezing to sweating in the drop of a hat. I woke up drenched in sweat shivering in the fetal position. I had to change my clothes, I was so cold. How much longer? I already suffer from anxiety and depression. How much is this related? And how long b4 I feel normal? I’m trying to stay strong because I know it’s worth it.

7 Likes

My first days getting sober I found my mind racing because I wasn’t allowing it to have alcohol so I became very restless and had anxiety. I found putting on headphones and going for a long walk very helpful and thinking about being sober and just thinking about good things and bright future. Lots of walking was my cure to distract me and now I use my energy for good things haha. Going to be 2 years sober on feb 18th. Life couldn’t be better. I am also in AA. Go once a week to a home group. Actually going to be chairing my second meeting this Monday!

7 Likes

The first week was miserable for me. Detox symptoms started to get better for me around a week.

Cold sweats. Hot one minute, freezing the next. Shaky. Impending doom anxiety. starving but unable to eat much.

I ate what I could, and drank alot of water. and slept as much as possible. I listened to recovery based topics on you tube. It helped my anxiety a little. It gave me something to listen to besides my own thoughts.

Youtube has millions of great videos based on recovery.

Heres one of my favorites. I still listen to it often. It helps be stay away from the first drink.

3 Likes

Withdrawals are like a wave, it starts slow, swells to a peak then slowly fades. You are likely at the peak and each day will be a little bit better. Keep it up because you’re right, it is worth it!

1 Like

Yep, withdrawal.

Just remember, if you can ride it out and don’t pick up, this can be the last time you ever have to feel this way.

I found after all that passed my baseline anxiety was lower. A program of recovery helped a great deal with learning how to manage what was left to stay sane and sober.

Those first days and weeks are quite an adjustment though.

2 Likes

Sounds like withdrawal. I feel for you, pretty scary stuff. I dealt with the cold sweats with lots of blankets to kick off and then put back on, drank as much water as possible, listened to uplifting or funny podcast to fill my mind (even for the small amount the restless sleep I did manage to get) and lots of warm showers, because washing all the sweat off feels really good and helped relax my brain. Take care of yourself, it definitely gets better. Around day five usually for me. Always reach out for help if you need it! :two_hearts:

Cannot sleep, constantly thinking about booze, boredom, sweating, feeling of dread, it all your choice and its a good choice. No hangover, remebering the night before, no having to avoid people, no accidents,