Is Methadone still clean/sober?

Hey everyone! So I have been addicted to smoking heroin for about 4 years. 2 years ago I started taking methadone to try to get clean. But one thing led to another and I had been taking both methadone and heroin everyday for about 2 years. Well a few days ago I’ve decided enough is enough and decided to quit smoking H for good! I’m currently on day 3 of no H and I’m feeling not too bad actually. The first 2 days were rough but nowhere near as bad as a full on withdrawals would be! My goal is to eventually get off methadone as well, but for now I’m starting with the H! Now, I don’t get high anymore off the methadone I take. Its purely to keep me from going into a (full)withdrawal! But would you consider this as being clean? Off of the street opiates, but still taking methadone? I feel happy that I’m 3 days clean off heroin, but I also feel since I’m on methadone that it kinda cancels it out. Give me your opinions pls! Ty!

2 Likes

Let me say first that I don’t want to take away from any progress you’ve made internally or externally regarding what your facing with both heroin and methadone…
There are a couple different schools of thought on the subject and I will provide those then offer my opinion.
The first school of thought is basically that if your being treated by a physician and taking the methadone as prescribed in a manner that is winging you off slowly and being an active productive member of society then some consider that clean.
There is also the school of thought that suggest entire abstinence after detox then facing your problems head on through whatever type of program you choose whether it’s 12 step,smart,church or any other variety to become a productive member of society
Both schools have valid points that is to say no one can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that one works better then another,
However and this is a big however(here comes my personal opinion)many many heroin addicts struggle getting clean(off drugs) and sober(having mental and or spiritual clarity) when taking maintenance drugs…since maintenance drugs are in the grey area many never pass that threshold and often fall back…in my experience it wasn’t until I was ready to not even play with grey area chemicals and plants such as Kratom(ex in heroin addict here) that I truly was capable of letting go of my old thoughts emotions and attitudes towards life to adopt a new perspective and find the serenity peace and happiness that recovery has to offer

The truth is you’ve got to choose what you feel is best for you,whether you choose to say your clean or not isn’t really anyone else’s business and I’m not the least bit judge mental towards you because I’m an ex junkie,I’m not God,and I feel like your hearts in the right place,even if it doesn’t work out for you,hopefully it only adds to the momentum you have of growing into recovery

5 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to give me your input! When I first started taking methadone, I had stopped the H for close to 5 months. I worked a decent job everyday and was fairly happy! During that time tho, I stuck to myself completely! Didn’t hang out or associate with anybody other than my family. Well, eventually I started to hang out with the wrong people again, and before I knew it I was smoking H daily again. But now on top of that, I was accustomed to also take methadone daily. And it’s been like that up until a few days ago when I decided enough was enough. I am gonna stick to it for good this time, but I feel like it’s a little early to celebrate so I’m just taking it one day at a time! It’s hard, but I can still remember how life was before the dope and I can feel what life will be like after the dope! I’m back to keeping to myself completely again as well!

3 Likes

This was a double-edged sword for my drinking. For sure there were a few people I couldn’t be around to get sober. They gone now! But on my own, turns out I was still stuck with one drunk: me.

This forum and finding some good meetings finally helped break the cycle. People who know what it was like and have a different way of seeing it. Glad you joined us!

2 Likes

Old me: Sure it is

New me: Nope, you’re drugged and under the influence of opiates.

I would’ve never quit taking methadone or roxy without suboxone due to the chemical make up of bupe compared to a full agonist such as methadone.

1 Like

As they say itts up to you if you choose to live dosed everyday or finally be free of it all. I took subs to get off opiates . Yeah i was clean but who am i fooling if i have to keep dosing everyday. If you have been taking this for a while and you choose to get off. I would have your doctor switch you to suboxone and taper off. Methadone still gets you high and basically synthetic dope. Suboxone will not allow that to happen and hard to abuse. The choice truely is yours…

2 Likes

I really want to come down off my methadone but when i went to see my drug doctor last week she said she wants to keep me on 40mls still cos she doesn’t think im ready to taper down… all because i was emotional when i saw her … i want to get off methadone… every time i take it it reminds me of what ive done in my past and i feel ashamed x

1 Like

Ive used heroin and every opiate out there inuding methadone and suboxone. Methadone and suboxone make life a little more manageable bcuz there is less chaos. Methadone and suboxone both have very long half lifes and are very strong opiates. They may not get you as high as other opiates but you can abuse them. I did. The big problem with methadone and suboxone is they are very hard to get off of. Even when you taper down the withdrawals will last for a long time. Possibly weeks or longer. They are substitutes. They do not fix the problem. I spent over a year on methadone and over a year on suboxone after that. It was hell getting off of either one. Harder than other opiates and heroin bcuz of how long the withdrawals last. Taper off if you can. Youre ready if youre ready. Give yourself the time to withdrawal. Get a support system and use it. Meetings are a good place for that and most of the people there will care. Good luck.

1 Like

If you taper off subs right then withdrawals may only last days or a week. If will take time for you to feel like yourself though.

Im just so frightened and ashamed… how do i fix the problem x

I can’t speak to the methadone. To me it sounds like you’re right where you need to be today, though: Working with your doc. Staying sober. One thing at a time. You mentioned before feeling better and getting closer with the family again. That’s freaking awesome and nothing to be ashamed of! Get it, girl.

Do you have any other support yet? A program, IOP, and/or people you can talk to? There’s always us too, of course! :grin:

I second that you are right where you need to be. We want a fix to the problem right now bcuz thats what we are used to. Drugs instantly gratifying. Take your time. If you rush this you risk going right back to it. You are exactly where you need to be. Today i can say im greatful for the hell ive gone through. Know where you want to go and head in that direction but remember you cant reach your destination immediately. You have to travel there. Talking to your doc about tapering off is a good idea if youre ready. Maybe switch to suboxone before you get clean if that is an option. Its more forgiving than methadone is.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for reminding me of my good things xxx i dont have any other support apert from my partner hes the only person ive talked to about this … i know i need to get help apbd find people to open up to …im going to go church tomorrow… for some reason i feel id like to go and pray x

3 Likes

Good idea. I found my place in AA. Find your place and what works for you. If youre like me, drugs/alcohol are a solution to the problem. The problem is me. Get close to people wherever you find support. Youll find that people love to help you because it also helps them.

2 Likes

@KeepClean
Suboxone will not allow that to happen and hard to abuse. The choice truely is yours…

I am on Suboxone through an addiction psychiatrist and it has worked well for me so far. The doc is doing a slow taper. The only reason I chose this path is I couldn’t go cold turkey. I felt like I was losing my mind. I also have 2 friends whom one of them is almost at the end of their taper and is doing amazing! The other friend is right at about the same amount of time in as me and doing well too.

For me, I consider myself clean because I am not getting high AT ALL. I am just taking it slow with this medicine to try to reverse the damage that has been done.

I hope all goes well for you. Believe me, I wish I could be on nothing at all, but it just isn’t the case for me. It took me 2 years to get to where I put myself into detox. So, it’s going to take some time reversing it. I hope that makes sense. That’s how my doc explained it to me.

1 Like

Thankyou … i definitely feel its now time for me to stop hiding behind the app abd get myself out to groups as ive only heard such positive things about groups … i dont get high on my methadone i only take it to stop withdrawing… maybe im just impatient and wapnt to be free from it so i dont feel so ashamed… Thank you all for listening to me tonight… itsp been so nice to open up . Xxx

1 Like

@Natnat I agree; I need to get to groups as well :blush:

Wow just reading this thread brought back so many memories… i cant believe how far ive come since this last post … I’m off methadone and on espranor I got from 8mls to 2 mls and also got over my fear of going out … i attend meetings most days got a amazing sponsor and work the 12 steps programme x

13 Likes

You go Natalie. So proud of you!!! It must be an awesome feeling to see how far you’ve come.

Thankyou so much for your kindness x x yes I’m proud of how far ive come I never thought I’d get off the drugs … i got ap life again thanks to this app and amazing friends like u x xxx

2 Likes