Is relapse really a part of recovery?

From my little corner of the world, that phrase is what we say to make people feel better about themselves; less ashamed. Some people need to hear it, some people don’t.

4 Likes

It can certainly be a step on the road to recovery but it also doesn’t have to be

2 Likes

Recovery can really be a part of relapse.

6 Likes

Yeah this. It’s one thing for someone trying to come back from a relapse, but quite another for someone currently on the wagon.

2 Likes

Here here :100::boom: agree do or die is my desperate situation and I want to do,DO LIVING,LEARNING ,AND LOVING MY LIFE AND THE PERSON UM BECOMING

1 Like

Thomas, relapse does not have to be part of recovery. I know many people with multiple years of sobriety that have never relapsed.
Myself on the other hand I’m not one of those people. Now able to look back with much gratitude and use the pain of relapses as a tool in my journey of sobriety. I wake up each morning and take time to do some studying in the big book of Alcoholics Anonymous, along with praying and meditating to stay connected to my Higher Power. Also remind myself how bad my life had became in the midst of incomprehensible demoralization. It’s not like that today.
I do not take my sobriety for granted and I do not get lazy in my recovery. I stay in daily contact with my sponsor. Continuously working on the 12-step program in AA to the best of my ability, secretary meetings and being of service. This is what has worked for me for 870 consecutive days today. Relapse can teach us a lot about what not to do… In recovery.
But for the grace of God go I. Message me Thomas anytime. Good luck and take care my friend.

4 Likes

Gabe - I never relapsed. It did take me 18 years of off and on dry time to finally get sober. But all during that time, even the times I was on the wagon, I had the intention to return to drinking, most often sooner rather than later.

I did not properly relapse, that is, return to a state of disease after a period of health. I was always in the disease. I wasn’t so much looking for an excuse to drink as I was waiting for conditions (mostly legal, sometimes marital) to improve enough to tolerate my drinking. I find the concept of relapse, after a week or two dry, to be a gross misunderstanding of the term.

5 Likes

Wish I hadn’t “relapsed” so many times

I wouldn’t have done all the bad things during all my relapses. Would have saved me a lot of ear ache :face_with_head_bandage: :joy:

2 Likes

Just feeling so defeated at the moment. I just keep relapsing lately. I joined AA and feel good. But feeling so weak and tired just can’t sleep properly. Had a good run of sober time last year. But just now I don’t want to drink. Just want to be sober

Wow… this hit me…

You ok Maria. I know you are having a rough time at the moment.
You may have mentioned it and I’ve missed it but can I ask what the pain is from, if you don’t mind?

that is so kind of you!! After months of being stubborn I started trial with Gaba meds for the nerve pain. I have a form of neuropathy, not sure yet which one. but… I have had stomach ulcers, digestive trouble, inflamation B12 deficiency. So we expect there is the source of the problem. Chronic stress and always pushing through, so I completely exhausted myself. these pills make me realy weird :wink: I feel terrible and the pain is even worse… BUt… my anxiety is less after 2 days already, so it realy does something to my nervous system. maybe it will help me get through the phase of recovery, healing my guts and getting back on the right track. the one with the sunshine :wink: I get my results april 3, but in hospital that is now affected most by corona, so I expect to have to wait longer. and today i was also ‘diagnsed’ with symptoms of corona… it is coming close now and I know that I was nog i high risk person but I never had flu or something and I hardly see anyone at the moment…

do you know what causes you to relapse so much at moment? circumstances in your life? your oww mind fucking you over? admitting like you did now is the first step, mayb try and analyse it now? hang in there. just for today

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing Maria.
It’s certainly not something I have experience with but understand that it an awful condition.
I take it you are seeking professional help help regarding the cause etc
You still have energy to support you fellow addict. This is excellent

1 Like

You made me cry. thank you for aknowledging that. :heart: Life kicked my ass and learned me so much how easy it is for people to look the other way that I made it my effort to always see what I can do to support others. I try to be a bakhti yogi, Love all, Serve all. And also. the other side of addiction is connection right.

2 Likes

That’s one I’ve forgotten from last year. I think it was a pod cast?

Don’t know actually. Might be from Gabor Matee

1 Like

I dont truly know if relapse is a part of recovery. I dont think it has to be. I know of a couple people who once they quit, they quit for good. Me however… my first true attempt to quit was when i was 21… that was 14 years ago. I’ve relapsed so many damn times I’ve actually decorated my christmas tree a couple years back with all the different clean and sober tags I’ve recieved lmao. I think if I actually learned from my mistakes I wouldn’t have relapsed as often. That’s what I’m still trying to do now. To learn from my mistakes and do things differently.

4 Likes