Is the first day the hardest?

On day one low in a hangover and realising that I have to change and my behavior as it is negatively affecting my family. What are your go to tips

2 Likes

Hi there welcome.

If you have a drinking problem here’s my go to tip -

Go to AA - I did 2 years ago today and I am still sober :grinning:. I had tried with some short lived success to get sober on my own before but inevitably ended up slipping back every time, so I decided to do something I had always felt inconcievable, I went to AA.

2 years ago today I was broken, AA helped me rebuild everything.

Whatever you do, take it easy, dig deep and resist the urge, it gets easier. Also keep coming back here, read all the posts, there’s lots of help flying about.

Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

10 Likes

Unfortunately I live rurally and the closest would be a hour and a half away. Previously 4-5 beers a day and at times a lot more with a lack of saying no to a next one.

1 Like

Try www.intherooms.com

You get online meetings there, also you’d be surprised where AA groups pop up in your local area.

4 Likes

There is also apps like intherooms.com that can offer several online meetings a day. Keep close with the folks on this app as there is some great sobriety, suggestions, and support from people all over the world with the same goals and stories.

Best of luck

3 Likes

I was this type of drinker, those 4 or 5 beers seemed like I was managing things, but really it was just the timebomb ticking between major alcohol induced drama episodes.

3 Likes

Sober minds think alike!:grin:

1 Like

Thanks for the support and suggestion

1 Like

I totally get that that

Its an insanity cycle, you really need to challenge yourself to break this cycle, if you don’t who know what it can lead to, where alcohol is concerned there are no guarantees with people like us.

2 Likes

I actually thought day one was easy. The horrible hangover makes it easy to stick to a “no drinking” pledge. What you need to watch out for is day 4 or so when the addiction voice creeps in and starts trying to convince you that it was never that bad, you can have just one drink and stop, you didn’t drink for 3 days now so you couldn’t possibly be an alcoholic. You need to be strong enough to tell that voice to fuck off!!

Congratulations on day one!! You can do this.

5 Likes

I agree, day 1 was always the easiest. After 3 days and feeling slightly hooman again I would drink again.

2 Likes

Not sure about alcohol, I know opiate WD for me 48 to 96 hours was the peak. Just push through it, it’s worth it

I’ve always gone to a couple of beers to take the edge off the hangover. In a way that is how my cycle became a part of everyday life

This chimes with me too. Id have 4 beers or a bottle.of wine and truly believe that wasnt all that much for a wednesday, especially compared to a friday, so was doing pretty good.
Now Ive had some time off, I can see how that is not healthy at all!

Welcome to the forums, glad to have you here!

2 Likes

I know what you mean I started with just a couple of nights and a couple of beers a week. A year later it was 4-8 beers every night of the week that went on for another year. Now it has to stop! Time to change my life and get healthy again head and body wise. I’m under no illusions I know that it’s going to suck to start with but I have to change. I’m lucky to still have my partner and two children but I can see how it’s put s strain on our relationships and that is Definitely negatively affected every one. Guilt and shame and hangover for day one. I’m guessing a 2nd day hangover and more of the same tomorrow.

1 Like

For me the milestones days were (and still) are tricky. Like @VSue mentioned that voice starts to say it wasn’t that bad and you can drink just one. It helps me to have a plan. A sober plan and I stick to it. I share it with you. Maybe you see things in it that helps you too!

• No alcohol in my house
  • Refrigerator filled with nice food and alc. free drinks
  • Telling my spouse about my sober plan
  • Avoid alcohol related activities and friends (at least in the beginning)
  • Having a day counter
  • Avoid wine/beer section in the supermarket and avoid liquor store
  • Taking a strong vitamine B complex
  • Taking melatonin to help me sleep
  • Be gentle to myself, like go to bed early, taking a long bath, etc.
  • Doing relaxing activaties like meditate, yoga, walking, etc.
  • When I have cravings: I don’t pick up that first one but I walk, run, work out, eat chocolat, watch Netflix, clean, study, whatever.
  • Ask for help when I need it.
  • Be here every day to read and check in sober.

Go for it :facepunch: Sober life is a much better life then your drinking one! I promise!

3 Likes

When youre feeling a bit less raw, like day 3 or 4, consider looking into a hobby youve been putting off. Youll find you have just so much more time now and boredom = temptation.

I have taken up so many things to fill time i think my partner is exhausted with me (in a happy for me way!) :joy:

1 Like

Recommendations

My hobbies wont be yours.
Fitness is always a good place to start!

1 Like