Is there any hope for my relationship?

Can folks share advice? Success stories for encouragement? Is there any hope for salvaging this relationship?

I was dating a woman for just over 9 months. Everything about our relationship was fantastic – we were honest with each other, open, supportive and caring with each other, and we both allowed each other the space to be ourselves. I saw a real future with this person.

We’re both divorced, and her ex-husband was an alcoholic. He even quit drinking for a couple of years at her suggestion, although it was on his own and without a group or a program. But when he relapsed, she told me that he became violent and abusive. (They divorced about 5 years ago, and she hasn’t had contact with him since.)

On Memorial Day, I had an impromptu party and drank too much. (My problem with alcohol is that once I start drinking in social situations, I don’t know how to stop.) I invited my girlfriend over, and it was the first time she had ever seen me drunk like that. I wasn’t angry or mean, I was just an obnoxious drunk, and probably the drunkest person in the room.

She went back to her house that night, and the next day told me that seeing me in that state brought up some painful stuff around her ex and her divorce. She said she needed some space to think. The following weekend, we met up for coffee and she dumped me. She told me that in the past week, she had been to 4 Al-Anon meetings because my drunkenness, and her reaction to it, brought up so much pain and anger for her.

She said that even if getting to that state had been a one-time thing for me, she’d always be anxiously waiting for it to happen again. And that if I decided that I needed to get help for my drinking, that she couldn’t be the person to support me in that. And because of all of that, she couldn’t see me anymore.

I was devastated to hear that, but it was a wake up call for me. I ruined an amazing relationship because of my drinking, and I’m fully committed to getting sober now. I never, ever want to make someone feel that way again. And to be honest, I don’t ever want to be drunk again. I always feel so stupid the next morning, and it’s just not worth it.

I’m committed to doing the work that I need to do to build up a support network and seek out the help that I need to stay sober from here on out. I’m only on Day 4, but I’ve been to a meeting every day, and I’m feeling confident that I can manage my dependency on alcohol with the right support systems. I know that it’s still early days for me, but I am finally, fully being honest with myself about my relationship to alcohol, and I’m ready to be done with it.

So much of my relationship with my girlfriend was so amazing. There were no tensions, no major arguments, and there was nothing wrong between the two of us, up until my stupid behavior last Monday night. I’m absolutely devastated that my drinking caused the end of our relationship.

Do you think that there is any hope for us, between me being in recovery, and her being in Al-Anon? Or is this insurmountable? How do I show her that I am committed to my recovery, when she has had terrible experiences with a partner who relapsed before? Will she ever be able to believe or trust me? Are the people in her Al-Anon group telling her that she needs to stay away from me in order to heal herself?

I know that whatever happens will take time; I want to give her all the space she needs to work through her past issues in Al-Anon, and I know that I need space to work on my sobriety program, too. But the selfish part of me also wants to know: how much time will it take?

4 Likes

This may be an unpopular opinion - but plenty of people get drunk and do silly things, and don’t have drinking problems. You need to figure out if you actually have a problem with alcohol in the first place. Don’t let your girlfriend turn her ex husbands drinking problem on you. He did all the bad stuff, not you. It’s called projection and it is hugely unhealthy.

6 Likes

There is no time frame for how quickly someone can move past issues or get comfortable after an uncomfortable experience. Not trying to be a downer, but not even she knows what a time frame would be to get back to the comfort level if she can.
The best thing you can do is stay sober for yourself so you don’t run into a similar situation again. I’m sorry to hear that happened to you but it’s good you’re actively trying to improve yourself.

4 Likes

Thanks, @Fridaynoon. I do have a drinking problem. I’m finally coming to terms that I’ve been in denial about it for years. I don’t often get drunk (which is why my girlfriend never saw me drunk in 9 months), but I’ve been drinking 1-3 drinks daily for years. And when I am drinking in social situations, I always end up having more than I intend. I’ve always told myself that I could stop whenever I wanted to, but every time I wanted to, I actually couldn’t.

But you are right that my girlfriend’s issues are about her ex, and not necessarily about me.

5 Likes

That’s cool man. Just making sure this isn’t a case of “my ex was a prick so you must be the same” kind of situation. I’m sure if you just focus on your own sobriety everything else will fall into place, even if it happens to be with someone more fit for you/emotionally stable in herself. From my experience two people dealing with two sets of complex issues becomes extremely hard to do right in a relationship.

2 Likes

For now i would say it sounds insurmountable BUT down the road that may change. Commit to sobriety and let her go. Maybe just tell her that you understand her reasoning and you are committing to a sober life and in the future should she want to talk you’re open to it. I’m sorry about the relationship. Welcome here.

3 Likes

It doesn’t really matter who they’re about if it’s a problem for her because they’re real for her. Some things are just deal breakers for people.

4 Likes

Maybe another question that should be asked, is why does she keep seeking out men in recovery?

Well he wasn’t in recovery by what I read. 9 months never got drunk then did. It’s fair enough on her behalf if she has trauma from a past relationship it would definitely be a sore point.

1 Like

Well, I’m a woman :slight_smile:

But also, yes; I’m only 4 days into sobriety now. We were together for 9 months, we’d have a drink or two together sometimes, but she didn’t see me drunk until last week. (Dating during a pandemic doesn’t allow for too many parties or social situations.)

I know that my getting drunk one time in front of her was just a trigger for her past trauma, and that she’s got her own stuff to work through. I’m just really angry with myself because I brought up that pain for her, and it would have been prevented if I’d just been able to control myself.

Oh sorry, I genuinely thought your name was Con and it was a play on words :blush:
As for your situation it will probably take a fair bit of time, and I feel for you because it’s something I know you will think of as so avoidable. As I bad drinker I’ve had this scenario happen countless times, if it’s once for you use the pain to remind yourself next time you think you want to get drunk to remind you of what is as stake.
Just focus on 24 hours at a time and the more you work at it the betrer things get, I promise.

1 Like

haha no worries! I understand that it was confusing because I was talking about my girlfriend’s ex-husband. :slight_smile:

Anyway, thanks. I do feel like it was avoidable, but I also understand that the past is in the past, and all I can focus on now is moving forward.

sms-18111

3 Likes

Seconding what people have already said, but honestly, without a magic ball there is no way of telling if ur girlfriend will accept your progress. But that is less important than u getting sober for you. As we get past Covid (I hope!) drinking opportunities will increase. Now is a good time to get a handle on ur issues now.

The only way to know if this relationship is salvageable or not is for you to take care of you and see what happens in time. I think you need to not think of the relationship at all because you do not want to be getting sober FOR her or the relationship. Do this for you, and when you feel in a better place maybe you can reach out to her.

YOU CAN DO IT!!

2 Likes

You’re describing my life . Here for u