Isolation and Depression

I’ve been sober for the last 66 days but In the last couple of days I have been isolating slot and I know that its not good. So when I catch myself I try to find a friend and have a talk but I don’t have to many friends and/or family so I find myself alone because people have there own life. But I don’t know what to do about this problem that I’m having I go to meetings daily talk to people there but as soon as I leave I’m back to being alone. Another thing that is bothering me is that I’m feeling very depressed I don’t know if it’s because of the holidays, my new meds or just being alone. So if anyone reads this and has any kind of help they can offer I’m completely open to anything because if this goes on for too much longer I can’t say that I’d be staying sober.

8 Likes

Hi. Congratulations on 66 days !! That is wonderful. I feel alone a lot too. That’s why I love it here. Im glad you started this thread. I think soon you’ll see a lot of people come on with thoughts and ideas. For now I just wanted you to know someone is out there and cares.

1 Like

Congratulations to 66 sober days! That is a great achievement and you are clearly already on the right path. I am alone a lot too and especially holidays can feel really scary and extra lonely. I usually do a mix of things to keep me afloat. Being around people already helps me a lot,so I started doing volonteer work, at a shelter or an elderly home, during holidays. Help is always needed there and it’s an opportunity to chat with some new people. Other than that I like to go for long walks in nature or visit a museum or such. Maybe you can find a group of people there? I don’t know where you live but I use the app Meetup for that. It gives lots of ideas what to do. Hang in there. You always have a place here with this community :orange_heart:

2 Likes

Maybe try a meeting meet new friends in the flesh might help wish you well

1 Like

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement I did volunteer to feed the people who are still in treatment at my old treatment center. I had a good time and it was uplifting. So thank you for the idea

1 Like

I’m right there with you, and I would love to hear any advice given for our mutual predicament

I’m having issues with depression and loneliness too. When my depression gets bad I tend to isolate myself even more, which just makes me feel worse. I’ve started volunteering too. I go every Saturday morning to a thrift store that supports the local animal shelter. That helps some, but doesn’t really address the worst of it. I spent Thanksgiving away from family and it sucked. I had a complete meltdown. I have trouble reaching out to others when I’m struggling because I don’t want to bother them with my problems. I feel like a burden.

1 Like

I couldn’t read this and scroll past without stopping to say that you are not a burden. A lot of us (myself included) tend to avoid reaching out for help when they are struggling. The answer is to reach out in any way you can and be met with kindness when you do so. You are not a burden. Keep reaching out, there are people who care. :heart:

1 Like

Thank you for this. I struggle to find the same compassion for myself that I offer others. I’m always willing to listen to others and help where I can. It would make sense that they would do the same for me. It’s hard to internalize that.

1 Like

Me too. We are harder on ourselves than we need to be. My negative inner voice speaks loudly sometimes. It’s easier for me to give love and support than to receive it. Considering myself worthy of love is a lifelong goal.

1 Like

There is a great and simple workbook out there called Mindful Self-Compassion. My therapist highly recommends. I used it in early sobriety. Did you find an only sobriety community to participate in? Can’t recommend The Luckiest Club enough. We Are The Luckiest is a great book by Laura McCowen. It takes a lot of positive action in early sobriety to make it through one day at a time.

3 Likes

Thanks for the recommendations- I’ll check those out. At my therapist’s suggestion I’m using a journal that has prompts about gratitude, daily affirmations, highlights of the day, things I’ve learned. It’s a helpful practice.