It has been a long time

Hi all… It has been a while since I posted anything. As for my journey, I’m over 3 years sober and this app and forum have meant a great deal in achieving that.
I decided to post today to share my cousin’s story. He is 44, and after a lifetime of drinking, expected to die by the end of the week. He’s had his chances and opportunities but failed. As he was going through the liver transplant process, he showed success at the beginning. His last dr visit before he was to be added to the list, and given his age and health at the time, he’d have been a prime candidate for a new liver. Instead he showed up drunk. Had to start the entire process over. He just gave up amd 8 months later he and we are now just waiting for him to die as peacefully as he can.
Know that this news in no way effects my journey and decision not to drink. I will never do it again. I share today to just let you know that whether you’re at day 1 or 1 million your addiction will kill you if you do it. So best of luck on your journey amd I wish you all success.
Graham

36 Likes

Welcome back @Graham_Hoffman, that’s sad news but shows the power that this disease can have over us. I hope that he is as comfortable and at peace as possible. :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’m very sorry. Thank you for sharing. Hopefully, those struggling to stop will read it and dig deep to find that strength to get sober. This disease kills!!

That’s some long sobriety time you got there. Huge Congrats to you!!

Sorry to hear that Graham. :wilted_flower:

So sorry to hear about this. Really glad though that your resolve is strengthened and not weakened by it. Sending you love and strength…losing family isn’t easy. :heart::heart::heart:

Every alcoholic has a message. Your cousin carries his through you to me. And you carry yours to me. Thank you for both of them, Graham. Peace be on your cousin and on you.

2 Likes

Thank you all I appreciate the kind words. What was supposed to be a matter of days ended up being less than 24 hours.
He went peacefully and I’m glad his suffering is over. He was 44 years old.
This happening is merely a reaffirmation that I an all of us have made a decision to stop whatever harm we were causing ourselves and more importantly we continue to abstain.
I’ve never considered myself powerless over alcohol. I believe that I have all the power over the first drink. All I have to do everyday is beat that first one by not having it. That’s what got me to 3 plus years. I also know that i lose against drinks 2 - infinity. So i use my power over the first one everyday and don’t have it. That’s what gout me here.
Some days are hard, especially early on. At this point most days I don’t even think about it. It just takes time.
Just hang in there. The view is much better from 10 feet off the ground than it is at the bottom. But you earn that view inch by inch. Whatever your program is just work it amd be patient.

10 Likes

Sorry for your loss. I’m happy his suffering is over too. He’s at peace now. :pray: :two_hearts:

I found a close friend dead on her bedroom floor from cirrhosis 5 months ago. I was only about 40 days into my recovery. It was pure hell to deal with but I knew a drink or drug was not going to bring her back.

This is a good reminder that we all have 1 more relapse in us but we may not have another recovery.

2 Likes

I am sorry to hear about your cousin. :heart: I am sure that is difficult to watch. I am glad you are strong in your sobriety however. It is always good to see you here and I am especially happy you have over 3 years, that is fantastic. :green_heart:

Powerful story, reminder, and prompt to keep vigilant in your sobriety.

Welcome back and

CONGRATULATIONS on your 3 years! :+1::ok_hand::facepunch:

So sorry for your loss. I’m glad your cousin is at peace now, bless him. Thank you for sharing your story, well done on 3+ years that’s great! :pray:t2::two_hearts:

Hello, Graham. I, too, have suffered loss, due to this disease…And relapsed none-the-less!!!
Oh! The insanity!? But, reading your share has certainly put another BRICK, inmy RECOVERY WALL!!!
So, your Uncle/(cousin?)'s life, has just saved/strengthened another’s…

May his soul rest in peace, for doing that…

THANK YOU.

Thank you all for your kind words. It has been an odd thing to process given the times.
To follow up a great friend, mentor, and co-worker lost his battle to cancer on Sunday morning as well. Like my cousin it was expected and he lasted much longer than the initial diagnosis.
The thing about my friend that I’ll miss is he was 33 years clean and sober. Even with all my tools and knowledge at 3 plus years it is hard to match 3 plus decades of sobriety. He was a huge support even though we worked different programs. We both understood that the only thing that matters is being sober.
So in his spirit, please feel free to send me a direct message and I’m happy to listen and share what made me successful and how i plan to continue that success. Best of luck on your journey.

3 Likes

My dad was a very bad alcoholic and I had followed in his footsteps even though I told myself it’d never be “that bad.” I’m on day two and I cannot wait to be at a week, a month, then a year. This app gives me so much hope. I will pray for your family.

3 Likes

This app was a huge part of my recovery the first year. As valuable as the forum and people on it are, the days counter is the most important part of being successful. Even on days you struggle with urges the importance of ticking that counter up is invaluable.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear about your cousin @Graham_Hoffman.

It’s really nice to hear back from you. And congratulations on 3 years.

It’s heartbreaking to hear this, but thank you for sharing. Exactly what I need to hear right now.

1 Like