It’s so hard

Alcohol is destroying my life, all I do is work drink sleep, no interaction with family, don’t do anything fun all I do is run home to get wasted and sleep and repeat the same routine daily, I hate it, I use to watch moves, go to
Jiujitsu daily, date and go out and all I do is get wiped out, I want this to change .

19 Likes

Welcome to the community :raising_hand_woman:
Many of us here understand this routine, it’s great your here and ready to get sober :slightly_smiling_face:
There are lots of threads you can read here too keep you busy, and lots of supportive people.
Nice to meet you

4 Likes

Then you must change it, or else it will stay the same. Maybe get back on the mats and train jujitsu. If that’s not enough to stay sober, go to a meeting, or attend one online. Come here every day and read, learn, share.

It is the things you choose to do, and those that you choose not to do, that will result in the change you seek. Only you can break the patterns and behaviors, before they break you.

5 Likes

Welcome, if you want it too change then start right now, put the work in, come here daily, reach out when you need help, get your life back, you won’t regret it

4 Likes

Welcome here :raising_hand_woman:
The good think is: you can change this!
You can change your life for the better!
Are you really, really want it?
Give it your all?
Then you can!
Recovery needs hard work and effort. The first year of my recovery I was here every day to read, check in sober on the “check in to remain sober” tread. I tried every tip I got here and tried to be as open minded as possible.
I kept all that works and trow away those tips that doesn’t. Sober for more then 4 years now, so it can be done.
So yes recovery is hard, but living like this is hard as well isn’t it?

4 Likes

Thank you for the support, how long have u been sober?

Maybe try ameeting might help helped me stay sober wish you well

2 Likes

Good luck on your journey mate.

Whole community of people here who will celebrate your future achievements and be there without judgement for any failures.

I look forward to hearing how much better you feel soon.

2 Likes

It’s good that you feel bad about things, that shows you still have a conscience about stuff. Alcohol really drives a person into a negative spiral of thinking , acting and self loathing. For me the booze flips back on that negative switch in my brain.It Doesn’t help that my body remembers that negative cycle I get into with my alcoholic self. It seems to welcome that side of me back like a long lost friend , that friend I don’t really even like but seems to have just gotten used to iher popping in and doing her thing. So I’ve decided not to let that old friend come around anymore, it’s not welcome in my life anymore. That’s how I have to think because I’ve become my own worst enemy! It sounds crazy, but I found its working for me, I’m almost 25 days sober now.

3 Likes

Welcome this is a great first step. Be active here, read a lot…we are here to help you

3 Likes

You’ve taken the 1st step in admitting you have problem with alcohol and it’s ruining your life.
In AA step 1 of the 12 steps is:-
I admitted that I am powerless over alcohol - my life has become unmanageable.
So really you’ve already taken Step 1, next thing to do is get to an AA meeting, in person or online, in person is better, as nothing beats shaking hands and taking to another alcoholic, we speak the same language and have the same problem.
After that get a Sponsor to take you through the Steps. If you do the Steps to the very best of your ability, you will get your life back, it won’t be the same as before, it will be immeasurably better.
Here’s some links to online meetings
You don’t have to join in you can just listen and hopefully learn.
Take care and don’t drink.

https://www.intherooms.com/livemeetings/list

1 Like

It sounds like you’re describing my old life there. You can change, I’ve got over two years now.

Read some inspirational books, post in here make a plan!

3 Likes

Try and surround yourself with support. AA is wonderful. Never thought I’d say that but to be surrounded by supportive people who understand your struggle is way better for the soul than isolating and going through it alone. Don’t give up. I’m only 72 days and it doesnt take long to feel better and have hope. Come here everyday and read and learn from what others have experienced.

3 Likes

I celebrated 5 years of sobriety in December 22

3 Likes

Congratulations on you Soberversary. 5 years is s huge! Accomplishment. Keep going :muscle:

2 Likes

I have been sober for 6 months. I went into an Addiction Treatment Program for 28 days. Then, I attended Intensive Outpatient Therapy for 30 days. I’m in continuing care right now and also attend AA meetings 3 days a week. I keep in touch with my counselors. I also speak with many members of AA. You have many friends who are supportive and understanding when it comes to this disease of alcoholism. Change your routine, change your mindset, change your routine, get the Big Book and read the stories. Get into AA meetings and listen and speak with other members. Key word: Change! You can do this, and strive to sobriety. I have faith in you and here if you need someone to talk too. Sobriety is a journey and road to recovery. AA is the destination!

1 Like

Welcome to this community! You are making the intentional changes to support successful sobriety. Keep getting after it!

1 Like

Remember when you first started jiujitsu and you had all these tendencies you had to unlearn so your body could move with purpose. Every time we got frustrated or puzzled the white belt goes back to trying to muscle through, often just wasting energy as the opponent’s position gets tighter and they become more uncomfortable, then eventually either we tap or a timer goes off and we reset positions.

Addiction is the same, we cant rely on our flawed, ingrained thinking that got us into these deep waters. We need to steep ourselves in recovery systems and strong teammates so we can change the position and free ourselves.

Also just like JJ the important determining factors in success is WORK, Honesty, attendance, and letting go of what we think we know.

Take care, i hope to see your success in the upcoming months.

What are you willing to do to make this change?

And like jiu-jitsu, you have to first learn defense, and once learned, you can learn offense.

1 Like