29 days sober, and I’m really struggling today…people in general have pushed my last button. it makes me want to drink to oblivion!!! STAY STRONG!!!
Hi Ken! What’s going on my friend? 29 days is brilliant, stay strong. Play it forward… drinking won’t make it better, in fact after you have done it it all becomes worse. Get a hot shower or go for a power walk. Punch a pillow or scream into a pillow. Anything but DONT DRINK! It’s not worth it. We are here if you need us.
It’s still a habit you’re feeling. You can fight through it. It’s so worth it!
Great job Ken on 29 days. Any little milestone always tries to trip me up. I don’t know what it is about that. But 30 days will be huge for you. You’re not drinking today and that’s all that matters. And you’re going to be so proud of yourself tomorrow.
I too love the power walk and hot shower idea. @Blondie1x really long hot late afternoon shower.
Unfortunately it’s all I’ve known for the previous 20 yrs being sober is the greatest feeling I know this feeling is just out of habit its extra hard to shake today however
Sometimes it helped me to just focus on being sober right this minute, then the next one, and so on. Forget about tomorrow, just be sober today.
I know it is hard when you have lived that way forever. I drank for more than 40 years and man, it was all I knew. But you know, I knew EXACTLY what drinking offered me (hangovers, regrets, misery and more), but what I didn’t know was what sobriety offered. What was life like truly sober…not a few days sober til my next bender…but sober. Exploring that has been exciting.
Another thing I found helpful in my early days was keeping a list on my phone of what I gained from sobriety…when I would think about drinking, I would read that list. Extra points for writing down some of your worst drunk crap. Here is some of my list…maybe think about one of your own…
- No hangovers ever!!
- Treating my husband with respect and no drunk fighting
- Self respect gets a major boost
- No more internal conflict about drinking and if/how can I cut down or stop
- Restful restorative uninterrupted sleep!!!
- Major pride in myself and all that I have and can accomplish
- A sense of peace and calm
- No more walking up wondering where and who I was with
- No more embarrassment and shame because of my behavior
- Forgiving myself for past mistakes and terrible judgement
- No wondering what I did or how I hurt husband or others while drunk
- No treating people I love, including myself, poorly while drunk
- No drunk driving and possibly hurting self or others or jail
- No upset stomach from drinking
- No anxiety and near constant agitation when hungover
- No dark suicidal thoughts
- No shame around neighbors if I was loud and yelling or loud music
- No blackouts ever
- No overwhelming shame at my behavior
- No oversharing with strangers while drunk or making plans I will need to cancel
- Not having to check my phone in the middle of the night to delete social media posts - no drunk texting/emails/posts/calls
- Not be bloated and puffy and look haggard
- Major pride in myself and a boost in self esteem
- No hangovers ever again
- No more excuses or lies
- Peace of mind
Consider a zoom meeting?
Try to find a quiet place, whether it is in your house or in your head; and, repeat this until the urge to drink passes: This, too, shall pass.
I am sorry you are having a tough time right now.
Stay strong buddy.
You know that you are amongst friends, people who understand what you are going through!
Just keep going!