It's the multiple day benders that get ya

So I’m a binge drinker. I would get off work on Friday night, buy booze. Wake up, head to the shady liquor store that opens earliest, and start right back up in the morning… this could go on for days depending if I’m on vacation or my schedule. And holy shit is this a bad idea!

It’s when my body just adapts to having a constant alcohol supply in it is when shit gets downright scary af trying to sober up. It literally feels like the devil has you. And horrible shit happens now during blackouts. I embarrasingly blacked out and broke my nose, chipped a tooth, wound up in hospital couple times after going out.

Anywho, I don’t recommend continuing drinking if this stuff is happening to you too. Its signs your life is going down as mine has. I’m finally changing for good without a single doubt. Stay strong homies.

13 Likes

Dude. I feel you on that. The multiple day parties for one left me agonizing for life and wondering “why me?”

Its really not in our best interest to do that again. Ever.

5 Likes

You’re both in the right spot. This place is great. The people here give you solid and sound advice. Keep reading, posting and checking in. I had a recent reset but I’m not letting that stop me. Best of luck to both of you on your journeys.

6 Likes

My last blackout was my last blackout.
I didn’t do anything overtly stupid (that time) but I did manage to cook an entire meal, one that required quite a bit of prep, served it, ate it, and thoroughly cleaned up after…and remember not one friggin’ second of it.
I had literally given over my brain to booze.
For the smart woman that I am, how stupid is that?
All done with that nonsense.

13 Likes

Im right with you :+1:

8 Likes

I was a binge drinker through my 20s. It didn’t take long before it became a daily thing early in my 30s. I’m so glad that life is behind me and looking forward to today! Sober on brother!

8 Likes

I remember blacking out, then waking up and reaching for a glass and a bottle (if I was lucky enough to blackout by my bed/sofa etc) AND having enough for a couple of drinks to help me get up and go buy some more.
I remember waking up not remembering hours of the previous nights.
And when you stop… aaaargh, the shakes, the tremors, the cold/hot sweats, heart rate through the roof, the anxiety, the feeling that you’re losing your mind, that feeling that makes you want to scream and rip your skin…
OMG, just the thought of it makes me feel like I’m gonna die.

10 Likes

I woke up in my hotel room in Stockholm. My right knee was covered in blood and bruises and the room reeked of something like burger. After I “sobered up” (meaning: could get up and make a few steps) I tried to find out where the hell was the stench coming from. While I was stumbling around the room, I also tried to remember where I was the previous night. I remembered leaving a bar at closing time and that was that.
And the origin of the smell not only was my coat covered with patches of toast cheese, but also my hair (I had to cut off quite a few locks of it, because they had chunks of the aforementioned cheese on it).
To this day I don’t know what happened that night. But I have a nice scar on my knee as o souvenir.

5 Likes

That. All of that.
Ugh.

2 Likes

I couldn’t help but laugh at some of your stories because I can so relate.

The last two years my favorite thing to do was catch a buzz and ride my bike. I’d often grab a couple nips / shooters and they’d send me into blackout. I’ve woken up on bike trails with people trying to wake me up. Then using one eye and everything I had to try to make it home. Usually with a broken toe or bloody wound. SMH…

3 Likes

Holy shit! I’d pay to see what happened lmao.

1 Like

Yeah, well, me too :see_no_evil:.

1 Like

Yep, we all have similar stories. They would be quite comic if they weren’t… kinda tragic, almost.
Never rode a bike while intoxicated, but I do remember going to see the southern coast of Mauritius AND preparing to get on a zip line (no big thing, except that it was after a 5-6 day binge and I suffer from acrophobia). It’s nice, the southern coast of Mauritius (or so they tell me).
I had the unique experience of having an electrocardiography at the Savanne district hospital after what seemed to be a panic attack (first one ever at the age of 40). The doctors were kind and dedicated, wanted to send me to another hospital for a 24 hour observation, gave me vitamins&co., and a piece of advice: to change my lifestyle ASAP.
Some nice holiday stoies to tell my grandchildren :speak_no_evil:

2 Likes

On the bright side you can go back to Mauritius for the first time lol :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Hahahhahahaa. You’re right!
I had one major relapse in Russia this summer. My ex husband phoned, all bitter and nasty (I still don’t know why it happens - it doesn’t have anything to do with my drinking, because it happened a lot during my sober periods too), so I’ve put my son to sleep and opened a bottle of vodka.
The day after we went to Peterhof: 40 minutes drive in a minivan&then the tour of the palace (hot and stuffy, plus I don’t enjoy the luxury with almost no artistic value, but nevermind)… I thought I was about to pass out. Don’t remember much of the visit except my hands shaking&sweating and me trying to act&look normal because of my boy. Luckily, after what seemed to be eternity, we went out in the park.
I was smart enough not to ruin the rest of our trip.

2 Likes

I resonate with this so much. When it’s over I feel worthless, weak, unmotivated, and not confident. It is a feeling from hell

2 Likes

Stick around here then Justin, starch for relevant threads. It helps me and many others to cube on and check in on the,‘checking in daily,’ thread.
This place was monumental for me staying clean in my early days and even though I’m now well and truly working a programme I’m still on here throughout the day, every day. I’m actually just coming up on 11 days of read time in the three months I have been here, now that may sound excessive but there are people on here with 50 days read time and they are rocking recovery.
It helps! :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

It is. And so difficult to explain to the people who never experienced it.

1 Like