Just a sad day

So my brother in law, wife’s sister’s husband, was diagnosed with ALS about 4 years ago. He had some strange symptoms, and got checked out, after a couple batteries of tests it was determined that he had ALS.

He was a strapping young lad, mid 30s when diagnosed, and he deteriorated pretty quickly. Walking with a limp, to a cane to a wheelchair in just about a year.

Been lots of complications with the tube that sustains his life and infections. Now it’s not working at all… he’s been given a couple weeks, a month a most to live.

Funeral arrangements were made today and it just hurts me… hurts my wife even more. He’s been in her life for 20 years, he is a father figure and someone she looks up to. Watching her cry crushes me because I don’t have any words or actions that can alleviate her pain, all I can do is be there, tell her I love her, hold her as she cries. He’s got 2 kids, they’re gonna have to grow into adulthood without him. His wife Megan is gonna have to learn to live without the man she loves here in the physical world. And there’s nothing I can do to help any of them.

I’m just getting this out, it feels right, I got mad love for Apollo and respect the fuck out of the man. The world will not be as good when he is gone.

35 Likes

Yet the world is already better for having him in it.

My love to you and your fam tonight, David. :heart:

1 Like

I’m so sorry for you and your family.

1 Like

So sorry your family is going through this. It’s hard. It’s not fair. It sucks. Reminds me to treasure each moment of every day. Life is precious and short. Hugs to you and your family.

1 Like

Absolutely. We all shared some of our favorite memories of old uncle Pollo tonight, some giggles, some tears, all love.

I just have a hard time not being able to fix things, to make stuff better. It’s something I for sure have worked on, and totally asked for and prayed for serenity @Mephistopheles.

Thanks for the words y’all, life just sucks sometimes, but that’s only because of how beautiful it can be. Gotta take the good with the bad.

5 Likes

Shit…I am terribly sorry to hear. I can empathize with how your feeling.
You’re right though, sometimes life just sucks. I guess not much else can be done or said. I’ll be thinking about you guys.

1 Like

Sorry to hear this man. Love and strength to you and your family.
The good are always taken too early! :hugs:

1 Like

I’m so sorry David … It’s good you’re talking about it. He sounds like an amazing person.

1 Like

Sorry for your loss. I know it’s hard not being able to fix things, but I must say, sounds like you’re doing the very best for your wife by holding her, loving her. My dad just died unexpectedly and the funeral is tomorrow. So I’m sharing grief with you. I love how you seem to be handling this with your wife. I would feel very supported if my husband were to do that. Sounds amazing. Hugs to you and your family. Sending strength and love :two_hearts:

3 Likes

I am so very sorry for what you and your family are going through. Sending you strength, love and hugs. I have had a similar situation in my life, not ALS but two kids left without a mum. God bless you and yours…thinking of you all :two_hearts:

1 Like

So sorry for your loss and pray for you and your family. Just like you said, be there for your wife even if you don’t talk. She just needs your love and time to deal with this in her own way. I know exactly what you are going through except the age difference. My niece was diagnosed last year with ALS and she is only 12. I pray for y’all and again sorry. :pray::heart:

1 Like

So sorry. Sending you hugs and love. We are here for you.

1 Like

I am so sorry. Watching our loved ones suffer is the epitome of helpless and that feeling is a rough one. I am glad you posted. My heart goes out to you and your family. :heart:

1 Like

When I was 36 My Mom passed away due to complications from MS. We grew up watching her slowly deteriorate. It sucked all the way around. However our relationship thrived and we enjoyed every minute together :heart: so sorry for your situation. My kind thought and prayers​:pray:

1 Like

I am sorry David. You are doing all the right things, being there for your wife and family. Hold her while she cries, no need for words. It will be sometime to accept his departure. Who is going to be there for you? Obviously you are hurting bad. We are here, I am here. DM if you need to talk.

We know the inevitable for all of us. This doesn’t mean that it we are not going to have feelings and be sad about it. My heart goes out to you. Much love.

1 Like

Sorry brother. My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours just comfort everyone the best you can. Keep on with your sobriety, step up and be the best man you can be. If you need an ear, don’t hesitate.

1 Like

How sad that is and how powerless it can make you feel to watch it on the sideline.
But being there for them to listen or given a hug to is all you can do and that’s good.
I wish you and your family all the strenght you need :heart:

1 Like

RIP Apollo, he passed today.

5 Likes

Peace be with you and yours.

1 Like

May Apollo RIP. FB_IMG_1571861256557|454x499

1 Like