Just an addict tryna stay sober

I have stayed the last couple nights on my brothers couch. Because a narcissist decided I wasnt taking good enough care of his kiddo. Which is bs. Anyone that knows me KNOWS I will always take care of children. Especially when I’m supposed to be another parent to them. I love kids. I have made my whole life about them. I have a very set way of thinking about and handling kids because I have literally been taking care of them since I was capable of holding/feeding/changing them. I’ve raised multiple of my nieces and nephews. Idk why I’m rambling. I feel like I’ve been doing nothing but talking about it. I guess it just feels better getting it out to people that arent directly involved in either of our lives ? And honestly, I’m grateful. This is honestly the least ive wanted to relapse in weeks. And I just lost my whole world and home and want to use less than when I had them and our home… that’s saying something… right ?? I’m not being told how messed up my head/thoughts are (from depression and anxiety and me being in recovery), how even when I do what I think is expected of me its not good enough, hoe I’m wrong, dont listen, always argue, im selfish, dont take into account how anything effects him. He decided I’m mentally unstable and unfit to take care of him. I havent even really cried much this time around… I’m only 76 days sober… thank goodness for my family. Otherwise idk where I’d have ended up the other night…

5 Likes

Sometimes we need to shed some stuff in life and focus on ourselves. Early sobriety can be one of those times. Control what we can, ourselves…let go of what we cannot control…others behavior and reactions. It can be liberating to simply focus on ourselves for a bit.

Sounds like a rough time for you, I am glad you have a safe place to land. Well done on your 76 days!!!

2 Likes

Hey there…I’m sorry to hear you’re struggling…but very happy to hear that your sober! For me at least, the first many months of sobriety were just that…they were about sobriety only. That’s pretty much all I could focus on. It took a long time for others, including family and friends, to see the changes that I was making…and that’s okay, they watched me make bad choices for a long time, it wasn’t going to change over night. It sounds like you are doing exactly what you need to be doing by staying sober. Hopefully that can bring you some peace and comfort. The other stuff can fall into place when it’s ready. :yellow_heart:

1 Like

Hey!
I’m glad you’re still sober while you’re going through all this. Right now things seem rough but there will be light at the end of the tunnel.

If I may share a part of my story so it might make you feel stronger that you can do this, I would like to share it.

I went through a rough break up with my ex (whom I’ve been with for 4 years) last september. She emotionally abused me and made me feel like I was worth nothing. I too got picked up by my family and they gave me a place to stay and get through the whole break up. I managed to stay sober throughout all of the many fights and the abuse before the breakup, all the shit that happened on the day of our break up and now the aftermath of the break up.
I don’t know how I did it. I just didn’t want to make things even harder for me.

Bottom line is that we can get through hard times without using anything. With the help of family, friends and TS we can make it!

I hopd this post made you feel a little better :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you I appreciate that. It has been a seriously rough spot lately and I’m glad that I’ve grown enough to see the differences.

1 Like

Thank you so much ! And yes it has been super freaking tough but I am so grateful for my support system

1 Like

Thank you for sharing that with me. I love hearing parts of others story’s. It just reminds me I’m not as alone as I feel and that I can get through this with the right support systems in place. :blush:

1 Like

Yes you can!! :smiley: we’re in this together!

1 Like

I’m glad I found this thread…

First off huge congrats on staying sober in spite of the struggles around you. You are COPING in a sober way. You don’t have to be good at it yet!

Second, you are already making those changes and acting on them without even realizing it. Reaching out, finding ways to appropriately react and cope with the struggles as they happen in a sober way.

Don’t you dare discredit any of the work you are doing every single day. You, friend, are a rockstar!

I am celebrating my 90 days today from a decade long opiate addiction. Life around me has been an absolute shit show, so you can understand when I say, I want to congratulate you on staying sober.

I made a decision at the beginning to be completely transparent about my recovery, made a youtube and an instagram. I only bring that up because I am going to share a couple posts that I believe may help, that’s all.

If you should need me I’m here to chat any time.

1 Like

Thank you so very much :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I appreciate that more than you know. I am so incredibly glad you found this thread cuz this just made me smile so much. Thank you. :black_heart: