Just celebrated 9 months alcohol free...first post

9 months 2 days ago! This is the longest I’ve made it in recovery. I previously tried putting down the bottle but failed (6 months twice and 8 months once.) The times before I thought I could quit on my own…as some of you may know that doesn’t work to often. This time around I ended up in the system and was forced to do meetings and IOP classes. And am I ever glad for those now lol. I feel great and my sobriety is everything to me now. Thought I’d share. If you are trying to stay sober/clean I highly recommend going to group and or meetings. Everyone have a blessed day.

15 Likes

Congrats on 9 months. I’ll be there one day. Yeah I couldn’t go to the meetings closed down due to virus but I will one day.

1 Like

Great job my friend! I had almost 5 months before quarantine and lost it once my aa meetings were canceled and I lost touch(I tend to isolate while using so the forced isolation really f-ed with my psyche). Once I reconnected with my sponsor and what will be my home group I realized the same thing. You can’t do it alone. So many of us suffer but when working together great things can happen for us all. I was put in the system after my 2nd DUI(back in 2017) but refused help. It wasnt until I reached out myself(4 months after I got off probation) that I was able to accept it. So glad you’ve accepted the help now bc if I had originally, I’d be so much farther ahead. Keep going strong!

3 Likes

I dodged the system for 3 years after a horrific DUI accident. I drove my truck off a 75ft embankment going 55 mph and hit a tree on the way down. I had 3 passengers. We all should be dead but somehow left with bumps and bruises. I didnt hear a thing from the law for 3 years. And that was when I tried quitting. Youd think after something like this youd be done but the bottle always called me back. For me it’s life or death. If I go back to drinking it will eventually take my life. I have a wife and 3 children that need me on this earth. That’s what drives me to stay on the road to recovery

5 Likes

CONGRATULATIONS!

2 Likes

I totally understand. I had my first DUI at 21 and didnt think much of it. So many of my friends had one already it was almost like a joke. Then 3 months later I crashed my car into a tree (dont remember a thing) but since it was in a different county the idiot cops didnt put 2 and 2 together so I ended up with only a speeding ticket. 9 1/2 years later, and after driving drunk countless times, I got a felony DUI. And you know what? I still drove drunk after wearing an alcohol ankle monitor for 6 months and having an interlock device in my car for a year. It is truly cunning, baffling, and powerful how this has such an evil hold over us. It scares the shit out of me. But gotta keep going and trying, or else you will be dead. Like I said, keep going now. Dont look back.

3 Likes

Yes I hear you. Drinking and driving where I come from isnt a big deal either. Like you say a “joke” I remember laughing with my friends “damn I don’t even remember driving home last night” thinking that was funny. We as alcoholics dont see the wrong in how we lived our lives until we are on this side of the fence…the sober side.

1 Like

Congratulations :partying_face: on 9 months, absolutely incredible!!

1 Like

Good on ya matey. 13 months here no drinking.

1 Like

Hey Anthony, well done! I am about to have my 9 months in five days too. It is exciting. Before I managed to quit drinking for 2 months and before two months I couldn’t do better than one week. I was trying quit for 3 years, it was so exhausting. It looked like I’m not able do it… That time I realised that I’m an addict.
I stopped 26. 8. 19 for good so far with my boyfriend’s support only. I’ve never joined any group or AA meeting. What was very helping me is this app and “Recovery elevater” podcast (from Paul Churchill) on the Podbean app.
As well as still using this app, I’m also still listening those podcasts. It helps me to remember what a hell I was living in for long 16 years! I never want to forget.
I am glad I was able to shift my mind and so I don’t see an alcohol and things around as a trigger at all anymore. I’m not craving it, not having a taste to drink, because I see it as the silly idea without any sense in doing it (drinking). I’m freedom of alcohol and all the illusion :wink:

1 Like

marvelous news, well done. :muscle:

2 Likes

Welcome to The forum Anthony, congratulations on your sobriety. Keep up the good work.

1 Like

This is something to be celebrated. Reading this makes me even more committed to my own journey. Mazeltov!

1 Like

At first I hated the notion of IOP and 3 classes a week at 3 hours a pop… then I went, and I surrendered and I started healing. Still thankful to my counselor Tomas, still call him on my anniversaries with the “hey Tomas, it’s David, your favorite student” lol.

Thanks to IOP and AA, I was able to build a foundation for my sobriety. Been sober for over 2 years now.

Congrats on 9 months bud, sober life is pretty damn good isn’t it.

1 Like

I feel damn good sober. I love being so busy now that I’m not drunk or hungover all the time.

1 Like