Just have to share today

Today we got word that our offer on the house we wanted has been accepted.

I had to let that sink in. Our offer has been accepted. We are under contract to buy a house, in the area we want, the size we want and the price we wanted.

Nearly 5 years ago I was drunk, pawning all my stuff to get some groceries, going to water machines because our water had been shut off, scared about where our family was going to end up because the eviction was inevitably coming. Constant fighting with my wife, verbal, emotional and physical altercations on both our behalfs, taking rides in the backs of cop cars. Kids eventually being taken by Child Services and placed in foster care because we were flat out unfit drunk parents… UNFIT DRUNK PARENTS.

The kids being taken was a catalyzing moment, could have gone either way, could have said fuck it all and dived further into alcoholism and whatever else I could get my hands on or it could have been the moment we stopped, got sober and started living lives we wished we could live. We chose to live. IOP, therapy, meetings, parenting classes, piss tests… everything they asked us to try we ran though it full throttle. 90 in 90? I made like 78 in 90 working full time and going to 3 3 hour IOP classes a week. Therapy once every 2 weeks? I was in the seat being honest, scared and vulnerable once a week.

Sick and tired of being sick and tired. It was never truer than when we got sober and those first couple weeks. Hell, all those cliché sayings from the clinic and rooms all made sense, they were all super cheesy and super on point.

We moved from a rented trailer to buying a trailer from my mother in law at about 2 years sober, it wasn’t what we wanted but it was peace of mind and our first little bit of equity. I worked on it, learned a lot of stuff, and acquired a bunch of tools.

Life was comfortable, still didn’t see a life where we were actual homeowners of a house big enough to accommodate all of us easily, with it’s own a backyard and such.

Until today at 4 years, 7 months and 17 days sober we had an offer accepted to buy our dream home.

Life is good. Getting sober is awesome. If I can turn it around, you sure as hell can too.

61 Likes

Congrats! What a wonderful share! You have been such a great inspiration!

7 Likes

Amazing. Congratulations! Thanks for sharing this pivotal moment in your family and in your recovery.

5 Likes

It’s mind blowing to me, absolutely mind blowing. Wifey said she started crying when I told her.

12 Likes

Tears in my eyes here friend. Huge congrats. Forever in your footsteps, one day at a time. And more of these cheesy words and cliches. Let’s keep 'm coming. Thanks for sharing David.

7 Likes

What an accomplishment! Tears of joy for you and your family!

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing your experience, you really deserve this moment. Let it sink in and then really live this good life to the fullest.
Im so happy to read you all came out at the other end and together. Well done :hugs:

5 Likes

:tada: holy crap, my friend! The Promises definitely do come to fruition. Congrats to you, your wife and kiddos. This is a great day.

5 Likes

Congratulations David, thanks for sharing, recovery is possible! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

That’s so exciting! I’m happy for you and your family. I know we’ll be seeing some home projects, hugs to you all!

5 Likes

Just…amazing.

So very happy for you :heart:

4 Likes

Oh my goodness @CaptAZ, what a day!! That is such wonderful news. You have worked so hard for your self and your family. I am just so incredibly happy for you all and I cannot wait to see all your projects.

You are the epitome of getting sick of our own shit and doing the work. I feel really blessed to be sharing a little bit of our journey together. Truly. And I miss your wry mod commentary.

Congratulations my friend!!! :heart::heart::heart:

7 Likes

I am tearing with her.

The sky really is the limit in this life. And if we stay honest and keep our hearts open we have the best chance. Thanks for sticking around and sharing your recovery with us David. Congrats on this super exciting very well deserved part of your journey.

5 Likes

Out-fucking-standing.
So stoked for you and your family.
giphy(3)

6 Likes

Wow, this made me emotional and teary-eyed. I know this sounds weird because I don’t know you but I’m so proud of you! Congrats on your new home!!!

I’m just 30 days today but you have painted a beautiful picture for me. Thank you for posting….your story is very powerful. 🫶🏼

8 Likes

Thanks y’all! It’s freaking surreal to me!

@SassyRocks wry is a beautiful amd glittery word for what was my modding style :rofl::rofl:

@Kabee the coming out the other side stories helped me so much, there is hope, even for the hot garbage i was back then, there is hope of a better life in sobriety

5 Likes

I was looking for some sassy moderating meme, but I failed. I am sticking with ‘wry’!! :rofl::upside_down_face::rofl:

3 Likes

I like this story, good on you and yourselves, I’m reallly smiling right now. Sweet

4 Likes

I love this post. Well done isn’t enough but you get the point :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Well done you made it keep it going and more will be reveled , isnt being sober wonderful keep on trucking

3 Likes