Just hit one month!

30 days in! A few things that really surprised me:

1. Phantom hangovers starting around the 2 week mark. Anyone else have this?
  2. Mocktails are good and totally scratched that habitual drinking itch while socializing
  3. My friends still wanted to hang out with me even though I wasn’t drinking. Know that sounds stupid but I was convinced people would judge me and not want to do things with me.
  4. Reading what others say in this community is really helpful, empowering, and gives me hope. I rely on it every night before bed.

In the next 30 days:

1. I’ll take my first trip to see an old friend. We usually drink wine together. I need to tell her before but im nervous.
  2. My new boss comes to town and wants to have cocktails … I will tell her I don’t drink but I feel like that makes people who do drink uncomfortable and I won’t get invited to be Team things.
  3. I will be focusing on better health and getting faster at running. I’ve been filling the alcohol void with ice cream and delicious foods. Need to scale that back.

Thanks for listening and for the support.

image|231x500

12 Likes

Wonderful Angie! The phantom hangs? Nope, felt like shit every day the first 60 days, then energy incrementally got better. So glad you’re here and getting healthier and happier!

3 Likes

Congrats! Keep going!

2 Likes

At first congratulations with your fist month sober!! :tada:
It’s good to think things trough on front like you do, but the downside is that it can make you nervous as well. What if she says that…and what if she says that. You come first and your sobriaty come first. So you do not drink. There are loads of people in the world who do not drink and you are one of them now.
We all think we become awkward ore sort of when we stop drinking, like we lost our “cool”. But we are not!
If you think you can’t handle your coctail drinking new boss and you are jeopardizing your sobriaty then call in sick?

2 Likes

Yep, we just keep plugging along. You too!

1 Like

Congrats on 30 days!! Hmmm I’m figuring out how to handle get togethers myself so I’ll be watching the comments for tips.

1 Like

Oh and the last couple days I’ve been waking up with a crappy “hangover like” headache (I’m almost on day 19). Feeling a lot better other than that. I’ve been reading it goes away after awhile so waiting for that to happen lol.

1 Like

Flipping awesome post. Thanks for taking the time to share in this detail. Positive posts on that you gain with sobriety are very motivating for me. Congrats on a solid achievement!

1 Like

Congrats! I’m on day 46, keep going! :slightly_smiling_face: It’s nice to get encouragement from people going through it too!

1 Like

I think our days may match. I’m on 31 today! Enjoyed your post.
I’ve also relied on reading things here and practising gratitude. One thing that has surprised me is the thrill I get from making it through events without a drink: the drive home, getting into bed sober, waking early the next day. All feel like little rewards that I allow myself to feel proud of.

Next 30 days for me:

• I’m a bridesmaid at a best friend’s wedding. I’ve told her in advance that I’m not drinking and she didn’t even flinch, just said she would arrange alternatives for me :heart_eyes:
  • A week away with family straight after. I’m going to take alcohol free options for both these events and experiment with alcohol free fizz and wine but just for the very special occasions.
  • Preparing to move house. This will be emotional and scary and exciting. I plan on facing all those emotions head on, sober.

X

1 Like

So awesome to be on the same timeline with you. I agree with you about the surprise and satisfaction of doing things sober and making it through. Keep up the great work. We got this!!

1 Like

How ya feeling? Did the headaches go away? Hope you’re doing well!!