Just quit tobacco

Just quit chewing tobacco after 30 years of use. Sounds weird in a way but it kinda feels like I’m saying goodbye to an old friend. I know it sounds nuts but I guess an addiction can get weird like that. Anyways , I need to do this so pray for me.

1 Like

You can do it! I picked up the same habit when I was in the navy. I quit after 20+ years. I had various attempts along the way. One morning I woke up and told myself that was it and it was. I lost track of how long it’s been since i quit. I have no desire to start again.

I do check prices every once in a while out of curiosity and dang!!! It costs a lot now a days.

Welcome @Brahma1970. I can relate to what you said. My addiction has been my best and only friend at times.

Well done mate, sure you can do it!

I’ve never come across anyone who chews tobacco before here in the U.K, is it more of an American thing?

Thanks for the kind words! I need all that positive energy.

As to chew tobacco in the U.K., its probably more an American thing but they due sell the stuff in parts or Europe like Sweden. Not sure about the U.K. though.

I know that feeling. I started at 18. A young Marine fresh out of bootcamp. If you didn’t smoke, you dipped. That was pretty much the way of things. I dipped for 32 years. The longest I went without dip or anything nicotine related was during the first two weeks of Officer Candidate School, and one of the first things I did when we got our first afternoon off, was to buy a can of chew.

Quitting this was much harder than booze. I tried cold Turkey. About day 3, my brain just froze up. I couldn’t focus and struggled to complete a sentence. Ended up using lozenges to wean off nicotine.

I think it was harder in part, because beyond the obvious health dangers, this habit didn’t hurt anyone except me. Didn’t hurt my family. No second hand smoke to bother another. Didn’t violate anyone’s peace and harmony. And I missed it. That dip after a meal or coffee, especially.

But overall, I am glad I quit. I’ve decided to be better, and believe I am better without it.

1 Like