Just starting this path and could use some wisdom

Greetings, All,

This is my first post here, my first attempt at sobriety, my first recognition that I let my drinking get away from me. I need some advice about whether what I am going through is normal.

Strange that I did not recognize my problem earlier. I have been drinking for many years, but I always thought I was a moderate drinker. I never blacked out, never had a major hangover, never did things I associated with those “others who had a drinking problem.” Yet I was drinking at least 2 beers and a couple glasses of wine each weekday, and usually added one more to each weekend day.

What really woke me up was having thyroid problems and my doctor saying it could be related to my drinking. I put that on the back burner until I used an app to calculate how much I was really drinking. Those beers were IPAs, ~7.0 ABV. So really I was drinking 4-5 standard drinks each day. Every day. Almost without fail. Oh my God!

So started this sobriety experiment and have been lurking on this site for almost 2 weeks. I am 12 days sober. The Sober Time app has really helped.

At first it seemed easy, no real physical detox symptoms. Cravings, yes. But I could handle it. Then about day 10 I started having symptoms. I’m feeling intermittent anxiety and depression. I wake up in the night with my legs almost needing to run. Especially in the evenings (when I would be drinking) my mind feels like I am under the influence, foggy, clumsy with words. I’m tired and low energy and have less patience with others. Etc. etc.

So kind and experienced members, is this normal? Is this physical or psychological or both? How long does it take to start feeling better and freer and healthier?

I’m grateful to join this community.

JT

2 Likes

Yeah, withdraw, even mild cases, is not pleasant and can range across a wide variety of symptoms. Usually the first few days are the roughest. If any one symptom gets to bad you can always consult with a doctor. Once you get over the shakes I suggest you look into some type of recovery program. There’s a lot of different things out there and they can all work if you want them to. The only wrong thing to do is nothing.

Welcome aboard the Goodship Recovery

2 Likes

Good you want to change. Welcome!!

The anxiety/ restlessness will calm down soon, just keep going. You are currently re-training your body. Eventually it will decide to relax, because it realizes it CAN relax. You have pushed your body daily to do the same thing, so it’s almost like a reflex. Your body is like " wait, this isn’t what we usually do!" Keep fighting for a new normal.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for your help. I’m starting to understand that despite my initial denial and overconfidence, I have a problem with alcohol that has lasted for years. I will take time to heal!

JT

Yes, what you are going through is normal! You are not alone…
As far as having a problem, Seems like were always the last ones to see how bad our problem really is… go figure right lol.
The anxiety and depression will get better… if you find that with some sobriety it’s not getting any better and you’ve stayed sober for awhile, seek a doctor Etc. I suffer from anxiety and depression, I had masked it for years. It wasnt until I got sober I realized how bad it actually was…I’m an addict and alcoholic, so for me, I was just numb for years. Me personally, I take anxiety and depression medication. By no means am I telling you that you need medicated, I’m just saying I had to be medicated. Stay sober for a bit and see if it gets better. For a lot of people, it does!
As far as being restless, that will get better too… Sounds like you’re having restless legs syndrome. It is a thing. Stretching and hot baths will help. Also caffeine and smoking will make it worse. I’m not a doctor, I suffer from rls and that’s what my doctor advised me when I was having it… it will get better though! Just give it some time…
I also just wanted to throw this out there. I’m proud of you for admitting that your drinking was a problem. For a lot of people, that is really hard to do. So I’m proud you are seeking help for this problem.
Hang in there, it does get better!

Perhaps you are going through some sort of withdrawal. It doesn’t mean, of course, that you are an addict – that you have a compulsion or cannot stop very well once you start. There are drinking problems other than addiction, just as there are with other things we run to for release.

Sounds pretty awesome that you are taking the reins in order to find out what’s going on with you!

Hip-Hip HORAH! Admission is the first step~

Everyone here able to offer support and advice and being a newbie myself (58 days) I feel LUCKY to have found this outlet.

Our stories are parallel!! I experienced restless leg immediately after quitting. Also, like someone stated, if I have too much caffeine it kicks in at night🙄 (pun intended). Secondly, my anxiety and depression was actually a spiritual disconnect. Once I started going to AA meetings (not for everyone but seems like the best option for me), I sought my high power and started to turn over MY WILL to HIS WILL. And yes, my high power is GOD. I could stop drinking for certain things but never sustain. So far AA had helped with tools to handle my anxiety and situational depression.

Hope this helps! Keep talking through your experience with us, Lord knows we understand!

Folks,

I’m humbled at everyone’s support! The more I open to this community, the more I am given in return. Here is some more of my story to fill in some gaps and answer some questions.

About anxiety and depression, I have been in therapy for a while, mostly for depression, at least lately. I talk with her about my drinking but I minimized it and I think she thought my other issues were more pressing. As I found myself getting stronger, I knew I would be able to address my drinking, so that is when I began this journey.

About spiritual disconnection, yep, I hear you. I have done a poor job of tending to my spiritual nature and needs. This expresses itself in deep longing for the spiritual and mystical. In the past few months I have been taking time and attention to open myself to that world. I started a 10 week meditation workshop last Friday, and I’m taking time for prayer and spiritual connection.

Being sober for almost two weeks, I notice how much I used to anticipate that first beer after work, that feeling, those follow up drinks. As I read others’ stories, I realize my symptoms and my cravings are so small in comparison. Yet I also know that this is what I experience, that it is real, and that is is my own struggle. Perhaps my small struggle is all that I am strong enough to bear? I am in awe of the strength others have shown through their struggles.

Take care, JT