Keto eating to avoid alcohol consumption

Hi…I was on here a year ago, found the app after watching “Love” on netflix (after awhile of knowing alcohol was fucking up my life…i dont think i ever posted…so here goes a short “about me”)…Growing up…as a young kid and as a teen, my mom was always drinking/depressed-wasted…kind of formulative/genetic backround re:alcohol…my gp/her dad was a drunk til his dying day…(i met him once on his deathbed and he was an asshole to me, and i was just a kid)…kind of weird cuz me and my mom work together and i consider her my best friend, even though she continues to drink, just not to the extent as when i was a kid/when she was still with my dad…anyways…I’m almost 30…I’m overwieght and feeling unsexy…I’ve had 2 ex’s…both 5-yr relationships…both older…both drinkers…kinda got me in the habit…even the current BF of 3 yrs is a weekend binge-drinker…Well, the 30 mark is coming up…I recognize that I’ve struggled with being “depressed” for a long time…I guess the motivating factor is coming ultimately from the fact that I felt legitimately suicidal a few weeks ago…i was wasted, connected with my ex on FB, told him ‘i was determined’/‘goodbye’…and i WAS at the time…pictured how i’d do it, pictured what my note would say…lile i was legit completely ready to go…- i got tired and went to bed and felt like complete shit for the next few days, couldn’t look at my phone out of fear/embarassment…but why did i do that?..well i was drunk, yeah…but i missed sex…current BF has a small dick and that’s a whole other issue, but I haven’t had sex since the ex and basically I was drunk and horny…and depressed about being drunk amd horny and knowing I wouldnt cheat…and thinking i’d never have sex ever again…
So anyways…fastforward a month or so…it’s like 6 months til i turn 30…if nothing else I can use my weight to motivate me to stop/limit my drinking…180/5’4"…So, since starting this Keto diet/way of eating a few weeks ago, I’ve dropped 15 lbs…Which is awesome and a motivating factor to keep it up…but I keep sabotaging once or twice a week…drinking rum (low carb rum + diet soda)…This is the whole point of my post, 2 pages later…I found Keto and started trackin cals/carbs…but I keep self-sabotaging with the lowest cal/carb rum…like once or twice a week…and have to just drink bone broth to make up for it…I guess the point of this post is just to introduce myself…I’ve been doing Keto for only 10+ days…I’m legit sick of being overweight…HAS ANYBODY used/want to use Keto succesfully?..

2 Likes

I’m completely keto and I absolutely love it. Has changed my life and well being … I have a cheat day every other Sunday that usually consists of sushi or a piece of pizza however …

3 Likes

Okay. Diets are bullshit girl. Do NOT do the Atkins diet, there’s a reason that Dr is dead that wrote the book. What you need to do is go on a plant based diet, and I mean LIFESTYLE by “diet”. Honey. Quit the drink. Your family sounds like mine. All of the men in my family were and my father is drinking himself to death at 63 even after having prostrate cancer. He’s hopeless. You and I are not. He will NEVER admit he has a problem. You and I are MUCH better off.
Start walking slowly, a little every night, everything in a balance, there IS NO MIRACLE DIET! You have to change your lifestyle doll.

Good luck to you sweetheart. Chin up!

7 Likes

To be fair, Doctor Atkins did die at 72, and that was due to falling on ice - but he was overweight!
My ex was vegetarian, and then vegan. I just ate what she ate and felt really good. 5:2 was fantastic as well - although I fasted for the 2. Fasting’s great, really sharpens you up, seems to improve everything. It’s impossible with the physical job I’m doing at the moment though.
So I’ve gone back to my bad eating ways. You really feel it mentally as well as physically when you’re eating and drinking crap.
Still, 10 months sober’s more important at this moment!

1 Like

He wasn’t just, overweight, he had MOUNDS of health issues all through out his life. I wouldn’t take advice on eating well from an overweight person, period, also, everyone knows that a vegan diet is the only healthy diet, proven scientifically. This whole, not eating carbs or eating less carbs crap is just crap. Our bodies need everything, carbs, protein and good fats, all in balance. I bet you felt good when you ate vegan! :slight_smile: you’re right, fasting is VERY healthy! I should do it. Lol.

4 Likes

I have been keto on and off and it’s helped enormously with my anxiety. There’s a lot of strong, current research supporting these effects on mood. But my sobriety is my priority, so that comes first. If I want a ginger ale, I’m damn well having it!

3 Likes

Stop drinking, start working out, start taking care of yourself, the rest will come. Drinking will only derail you on your path and will stop you from reaching your goals. Even if it will take you months before you start losing weight after you get sober, you’re mentally preparing yourself for it. I noticed that when I got sober, things didn’t come all at once to me. It took time, but it was necessary for me to get sober first! The rest will follow :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Keep in mind that a lot of people transition from alcoholism into disordered eating (and vice versa). Diets can become extreme, addictive and very unhealthy. Focus on your motivation for not drinking, not on your motivation for weight loss, or you’ll just be replacing one obsession for another.

3 Likes

i tried keto but i felt horrible then. i couldn’t see eggs any more for half a year bleh. i think a balanced diet is the best. when i’m drunk i mostly eat garbage but when i’m sober i mostly eat veggies. listen to your body, it tells you what it needs.

1 Like

Unfortunately, Doctors are not taught nutrition, unless they are a nutritionist, and then it’s still mostly not right. Doing your own research is key rather than listening to someone else.

I think different cultures/ethnicities have different genes based on the available food sources. So, to criticize someone on their diet preference is outrageous.

Case in point the indegenious people in Alaska have a very high protein based diet. Fish, moose, carribou, bear, salmon, whale and few natural found veggies/fruits/berries. You don’t find cornfields, potatoes and other domesticated veggies in wide abundance here. 8-9 months of frozen tundra leaves very little time for a growing season. Lots of dried meat and fish for winter.

So, the introduction of starches and heavy carbs to their diets has caused an influx of obesity. I want even begin their inability to process alcohol effectively.

So, your genetics play a huge role on how you process foods. A high protein diet may be very beneficial. I went and saw a dietician, and based on my body type and genetics I was informed I needed a high protein/low carb diet.

Lol.

I think it’s comical how quickly people get offended at something they know nothing about.

What I was doing is merely stating facts, BASED on my experiences. I wasn’t pushing my lifestyle on anyone. If someone is “crying out for help”, I also have the right to share what I have learned in My years of research and experience.

So please, don’t accuse me and don’t get offended as I am doing what everyone else is.

Thanks.

1 Like

I’ve been doing keto for a while now. The Ketogenic diet really helps with mental clarity, weight loss, and much more. I suggest you try it. However, it is not for everyone.

1 Like