Kicking nicotine!

Okay, so along with quitting drinking I’d also like to give up nicotine. I would mostly smoke when I was drinking, but I am still smoking e-cigs or actual cigarettes if they’re offered. I know a common side effect of quitting is gaining weight, which is from the hand to mouth gesture we’re used to and maybe not noticing we’re replacing with food. I have been wanting to start working out at home anyway, but until I muster up the motivation to do that, I need to be not smoking regardless. What helped you? Hard candy? Tooth picks? Healthy distractions… and go!

1 Like

I try to focus on one addiction at a time.
Nicotine is no doubt bad. I had to give myself a break on the cigarettes and enjoy my sobriety.
I tried early on but feeling the happiness of my program was difficult. So I decided to wait on cigarettes.
Somewhere around here I have the book of Nicononymous . If you can’t find a pdf for it maybe I can post a chapter a day from it.
Please find it though lol.
If not I can post pictures

1 Like

I reposted this just last night if your interested. And if someone else out there knows an easier way for me to repost my thread besides copying and pasting I’d appreciate it. I still don’t know all the ins and outs of using a forum. Anyway. Here’s goes if you like.

I got some tips if your interested. I smoked many years ago and my boss paid for us to do a stop smoking clinic. It worked. I didn’t just quit smoking. I STOPPED smoking.
Anyway. The things that worked best for me were.
First 2 weeks.
No booze. U should have that down already I hope.
No sugar
No caffeine
These things are all triggers.
Drink lots of water. Seriously drink water like you’ve never drank it before. Helps flush out the nicotine.
I got some worry beads to keep my hands busy.
Get a straw. Keep it in your mouth and suck in fresh air. I remember waiting tables and I always had a straw in my mouth for about a month. Even taking orders. It was definitely a conversation piece. I found the big fat McDonalds straws work the best. Cut them in half.
Drink lots of water.
The most fun or interesting part was mess up your brain. Smoking is a habit right. Start messing up all your habits.
Sleep on the other side of the bed.
Drive to work a different route
Use your spouses car if u can.
Sit in a different spot for dinner.
Shower in the evening if u usually shower in the am.
You get the idea.
Did I say drink lots of water?
Good luck. I didn’t think this was going to be this long. But it worked for me. Maybe because my wife and I were planning on starting a family back then and I didn’t think I’d be a good example being a father with a butt in his mouth. But I had tried before and nothing worked until I had all these tools to help me.
Good luck. God bless.

8 Likes

There’s a current thread on quitting nicotine. Why don’t you join them? I’m sure @C_8 and @Fireweed wouldn’t mind. Here’s the link: Grumpy A-holes January 2020 (quitting cigarettes/ nicotine)

8 Likes

Thanks @Lisa07

When I go to sleep tonight, I will have been nicotine free for 7 days. Hopefully. …

@FutureMrsBlythe … we need all the help we can get. I’m finding it really hard right now.

5 Likes

Absolutely @Lisa073! Grumpy thread is meant for everyone and not “owned” by anyone, except quitters supporting each other :+1:

3 Likes

Maybe take ‘January’ out of the topic title? Just a thought. And I don’t really trust mine at the moment , so … :woman_shrugging:t3::thinking:

Good point @C_8 :+1:
Done!

2 Likes

How do I join? Just comment on it?

3 Likes

Tap the “Normal” or button at bottom and change it to “Tracking” (for a running count of replies) or “Watching” - that will alert you to every post in the thread:

2 Likes

Yes, just go on that thread and join in the conversation. I would introduce yourself and say what your giving up (cigs, vape, nicotine gum) and when you plan on starting or how long you’ve been doing it. It’s a great support system they got going there.

2 Likes

Wintergreen Altoids

Low sugar
Very few ingredients

2 Likes

I stop smoking for 5 days then yesterday bought a pack of cigarettes.I still want to stop smoking I’m going to keep trying to not smoke. I wish everyone a Happy New Year and that we able to accomplish soberity. Thanks!