Kindness: a guiding principle

As many of you know, I am reading refuge recovery and have decided to utilize their program. I came across an interesting passage today and I thought I’d share it with the group:

The way that we use the term kindness is in the context of what will end suffering and help us recover in each situation. The next kind action depends on the circumstances. The kind thing to do is the skillful response in each given moment. For instance, when it comes to pleasurable experiences, the kind relationship to pleasure is always nonattached appreciation. If we can enjoy the pleasurable moments without clinging to them or getting caught in the craving for them to last forever, then we can avoid the typical suffering we often create around pleasure. So the kind thing to do is not get attached. And if we were not able to meet the pleasure with nonattached appreciation, and if we have already become attached, then the kind thing to do is let go, which may mean a practice of renunciation or abstinence.

So, I love this passage in the book. It goes on to talk about how the next level of kindness is patience with ourselves as we learn to let go. When’s the last time you were patient or kind with yourself?

3 Likes